Quote Originally Posted by rwskinner View Post
Spindle motor - 15 hp Baldor motor.

Gear Change Mechanism - Pneumatic Solenoids and rollers.

Ballscrews - So I made 1 turn of the ballscrew moved me 0.394" so I guess it is metric screws at 10mm pitch.
I took apart the lube pump and cleaned it all out and got it working. When I press the solenoid manual button, pressure jumps up to about 180# and stays there for a few seconds then drops to zero. Not see much lube at the ways.
I guess I might as well replace all the lines and clean the manifolds while I'm in there. Anyone know what size lines those are and how much I need?

New problem, since I sealed up the lube pump, one of the air cylinders on the speed changer is blowing out the stem seal. Cylinders look like they are crimped together but I hadn't tried to take one apart yet.

Still cleaning!!!

Richard
Yeah thats 10mm screws, same as mine. Are you sure the tensioners are not hydraulic with a small booster there somewhere? Strange, if you have a 15hp motor and drive its a HT, but the HT models are supposed to have air/hydraulic tensioners, and 10hp models are air only. If you stick with pneumatic and you want to replace it, upgrade to double acting cylinders so they retract better and avoid errors. Mcmaster carr sells the exact cylinder you need for dirt cheap. I had to do this mod and it works great. See details here: https://www.cnczone.com/forums/fadal...cal-issue.html

The pump is supposed to hold pressure. Could be an issue with the pump, a line, or a metering unit. This is a PDI system, supposed to hold pressure and then pump a fixed volume (based on the metering units) when pressure is released, and pressurized again. There are two manfolds with a bunch of metering units, one located under the table on the left side and another around behind spindle motor. They are kind of expensive but not a bad idea to replace them for sure. Pay close attention to the line feeding the table as i said, its a terrible design on my 94 4020, really needs a cable carrier added. Yours may be broken too. If i breaks, you will go through alot of oil, and it will all end up in the bottom of the machine instead of on the ways.