Hey all!
I have a question about selecting "gas kind" when working in the cut conditions table. We've only been using shop air (gas #5) so far, as we've mainly been cutting 20-24ga galvanized and stainless where edge quality doesn't have to be "primo".

We're stepping up to some 13ga CRS and shop air is "almost" getting it done, but not quite. These parts will need to be as good as we can get them so that hand working is to a minimum. (I'll be cutting about 15,000 of them!) So I'm thinking we should try using O2 as the assist gas. So my questions are as follows:

1) Amada references 3 types of O2 pressures when selecting it as an assist gas: 1 = low pressure, 2 = medium pressure, 3 = high pressure. How do you know which to select? My initial plan it to get a standard cylinder from our gas supplier (PraxAir) and feed it in.

2) For using a cylinder (versus liquid or other methods), what kind of pressure would we set the regulator on the cylinder at to provide enough pressure and not too much?

That isn't something we really covered when I had the Amada techs in here doing the initial install and training. I figured it would be a few years, instead of a few months, before I was going to need to worry about using an assist gas other than shop air!

Thanks in advance for any help with this.

As a side note, the edge quality with shop air on 13ga CRS is actually pretty good. My biggest problem is getting all of the slag to blow off during cutting. I'm going to try a few things Monday and see if that helps. There seems to be a limit on how much pressure you can get using shop air. I don't know what the "max" I can feed the machine is before doing any harm to it.