586,121 active members*
3,755 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

X-Axis Chatter

I'm having horrible chatter in the X-Axis only direction climb milling. Y-Axis cuts like butter and I can push it significantly harder. This is a profile and not a pocket.

So far I have tightened the angular contact bearings X,Y & Z using the scale and pulley method shown on NYCCNC (not for Z), and tightened up the gibs in X, Y, & Z. I am using the MDI to check backlash with the command G01 Z-.010 F5 then back to zero. I get .0005 backlash on a DTI and I even tightened that up more in the Z to .001. The machine is leveled and trams very nicely.

I'm cutting 303SS with a 1/2" endmill, 4 flute carbide, 1.5" stick out for a .875 DOC, .030" WOC, 1635 RPM and 13.5 IPM These numbers are from HSM adviser and tuned down a bit. I have tried all different DOC, WOC, RPM, IPM with no luck.

It screams in X from right to left or vise versa climb milling. Tormach is suggesting to tap the spindle preload nut with a dead blow hammer and tighten it back down. It looks like to do this I need to remove the entire spindle assembly.

Anyone else encounter this and have any recommendations? Maybe tighten up X & Y gibs a little more?

Re: X-Axis Chatter

Still chasing same type of problem.(5months). Is this a M 1100?. I Pulled the spindle. It actually took less time than finagling in machine.
    It did not help. Ihave found that the machine will cut well with any tool under 1/4 dia at .3 doc and .003 woc. I have been making adjustemnt since I got it and it still is not rigid enough to Not squeal. Also doesnt have a great surface finish.
    I hope you find your problem so I can apply your fix to my machine and finnaly make parts in a reasonable amount of time. Did I mention this is a brand new 1100m. I have access to a much more rigid series3.

Re: X-Axis Chatter

I don't have a Tormach, but I had the same problem only in the Y axis on my BP clone. I finally had the spindle rebuilt and that fixed the problem. I have no idea why the problem didn't show up in the X axis.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA