586,103 active members*
3,234 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 2 of 2 12

Re: Switch for Rapid Turn.

Quote Originally Posted by jttoner View Post
    Thanks, I'll make a note of that site for the tubes I'll need in the future. I remember those tube tester/vending machines. Not too many guys left that know a triode from the man in the moon. The youngsters of today are pretty sharp with a smart-phone, but would have to go online for a video on how to change a light bulb. If they ever attempt to replace a light switch there is a chance the entire power grid might go down.
    And just try telling one of those kids that if there's no light in the bottle that's probably the bad one.

Quote Originally Posted by GLCarlson View Post
    And just try telling one of those kids that if there's no light in the bottle that's probably the bad one.
    Granted they can make smart phone do almost anything but walk the dog or take out the trash, probably even an old turkey such as I could if I were to spend nearly every waking minute on the silly thing.

I have an old Hickock (spelling) from dads tv shop, dates to the 50's dont even know if it still works??

Quote Originally Posted by GLCarlson View Post
    Amen to finding a tube tester! Though any of us "of a certain age" should be able to check a filament, or even set up a simple gain/short tester.

Any of you guys needing a spare tube for a VTVM (etc), PM me with a number. I have a stash of the most common ones. Many are used/working, pulls from lab equipment typically. I've got lots of storage space and just won't throw these out given how hard they are to find. I've still got a couple old Tektronix scopes that run just fine, heat the shop quite nicely in the winter- and without the stash, a bad tube would probably be the end of a perfectly functional piece of hardware.
    mike sr

Quote Originally Posted by popspipes View Post
    I have an old Hickock (spelling) from dads tv shop, dates to the 50's dont even know if it still works??
    As I recall, that was the professional model. I made an EICO. I believe there were two models. One only tested continuity the more expensive model actually applied a load. That was the one I had. Not professional, but it served me well. I also had a signal generator and a signal tracer,

I had an annoying neighbor in the adjacent apartment, She didn't work so had plenty of time to loudly play her TV in the early morning hours. I worked and needed the shut-eye. Fed up with her refusal to turn down the TV, I picked up a Mexican record at a thrift store. It was one of those loud rancher bands. I put it on my turntable, ran the audio output to the modulator of the signal generator which I tuned to her TV station. As she would change channels I adjusted my rf output as needed. Whichever channel she selected, she got the correct video but the audio was the same Mexican band playing the same songs. It was a fun night.

Back to the switch in question would a 220 VAC 15 Amp switch be able to handle the load. The VFD would be shut down during switching operations. How I wish there was a controller that would allow the Tormach run straight 3 phase. I can dream can;t I?

Dang John that even tops the electrocution of the varmits under my shed!!

I had a signal generator a grid dip meter, even put a ssb cb rig on 6 meters, the dipper came in handy for that. I still have an old Triplett meter that was dads as well, I bet the old battery connections are "cankered" in it ha!!!
    As I recall, that was the professional model. I made an EICO. I believe there were two models. One only tested continuity the more expensive model actually applied a load. That was the one I had. Not professional, but it served me well. I also had a signal generator and a signal tracer,

I had an annoying neighbor in the adjacent apartment, She didn't work so had plenty of time to loudly play her TV in the early morning hours. I worked and needed the shut-eye. Fed up with her refusal to turn down the TV, I picked up a Mexican record at a thrift store. It was one of those loud rancher bands. I put it on my turntable, ran the audio output to the modulator of the signal generator which I tuned to her TV station. As she would change channels I adjusted my rf output as needed. Whichever channel she selected, she got the correct video but the audio was the same Mexican band playing the same songs. It was a fun night.
    mike sr

Triplett is/was a great professional meter. When I worked ordnance we used those along with Tektronix dual trace triggered sweep scopes. It wouldn't surprise me if they now have a scope app for smartphones. I have a Kenwood transceiver I might fire up if someday (KJ6YYE) if somebody can teach me how to use those repeaters. We used to make our own gear, tune it to the antenna and we were good to go. Not so today. It's all made in China now.

I had a 440 and 430 both lost the front end amp stage, they would work with a pre amp, lightning I guess got both of them. That ssb cb conversion, I worked 47 states on 6 meters with it. I havent touched any of it in 20 years or so. I have a 706 Icom that I never used much too hard to get it set up........ The old Triplett has a lot of tape on it, I assume it holds it together ha! The case is cracked and not in good shape, the plastic in the early days did that.

The elimination of the code (not that I liked it) kinda took the wind out of my sails, that and cell phones ha!

I really dont see a reason why the switch would not work, just make sure everything is shut down when switching it, the outputs on the vfd's are sensitive etc.

I sent you an email, the PM was too long, and there was a picture in it as well.....

Triplett is/was a great professional meter. When I worked ordnance we used those along with Tektronix dual trace triggered sweep scopes. It wouldn't surprise me if they now have a scope app for smartphones. I have a Kenwood transceiver I might fire up if someday (KJ6YYE) if somebody can teach me how to use those repeaters. We used to make our own gear, tune it to the antenna and we were good to go. Not so today. It's all made in China now.
    mike sr

Back to the switch in question would a 220 VAC 15 Amp switch be able to handle the load. The VFD would be shut down during switching operations.
    Yes, a 15A rated 3 phase switch will be plenty for the 1.5hp Tormach motor (each phase carries about 7A at full load).

You are not the first to do this; there is at least one other person on this forum that installed a 3 phase switch. There also used to be a product on ebay which was a switched USB socket, which would allow you to easily reprogram your VFD when making the switch from mill to RT.
    Tim
    Tormach 1100-3, Grizzly G0709 lathe, Clausing 8520 mill, SolidWorks, HSMWorks.

Quote Originally Posted by tmarks11 View Post
    Yes, a 15A rated 3 phase switch will be plenty for the 1.5hp Tormach motor (each phase carries about 7A at full load).

You are not the first to do this; there is at least one other person on this forum that installed a 3 phase switch. There also used to be a product on ebay which was a switched USB socket, which would allow you to easily reprogram your VFD when making the switch from mill to RT.
    o

I have that. It was made by Mill Fast and works great. The PITA is changing the motor cables, even with the so-called "quick change: device. Seems that had Tormach equipped the RT with a 1.5 hp motor all the hassle might have been avoided. And I suspect those Chinese horses are more like Shetland ponies than Drysdales.

Page 2 of 2 12