586,069 active members*
3,946 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAD Software > Rhino 3D > Importing dwg.files

Importing dwg.files

When I import a dwg print the drawing is scaled down including the dimensions. How can I correct this and get a 1-1 drawing imported.

HERE IS A THOUGHT - GIVE IT A TRY:::

Set units to the right spec - inches, ft, mm etc (PROPERTIES etc -- thats the icon 3 or 4 over from left on the first icon bar..)

Then:

1 Select (the active) viewport (The one you will import to...)
    2. Select Dimension (Linear) from top toolbar - draw a dimension that is close to you want in the direction you are concerned...
    3. From (Main/TOP) toolbar--Pull down Scale - pick 2D - work the size
    4. Size 'til you get it right?

I've worked some that are 10,000x off (mind you these were *.dxf files, using this way - sorry its crude, but I'm self taught - I think it should work for dwg too -- I'd think.)

Just a thought - give it a try

Hope that helps!
    :cheers: Jim
    Experience is the BEST Teacher. Is that why it usually arrives in a shower of sparks, flash of light, loud bang, a cloud of smoke, AND -- a BILL to pay? You usually get it -- just after you need it.

There are several things that may be going on here.

A) ACAD file formats (dxf, dwg) don't contain real specific units info the way an IGES or STEP will. So, in many cases, the file will take on the units of the importing program at the time of the import.

B) If the drawing is in paper space in ACAD, it may cause problems. The import may take on the scale of the paperspace detail, for example.

The best procedure is as follows:

1) Open Rhino.

2) Set the units to whatever the units of the imported file were drawn in. For this, you obviously need to know what they are. Usually this means you need something with dimensions like a paper print, verbal instructions from the sender, etc... If you open the file once and it is dimensioned, you might be able to figure it out for yourself.

3) If you have layouts in your file (Rhino 4 only, the equivalent of paperspace), make sure they are not active (set the normal Top viewport to be active, i.e. "model space"). If you don't have layouts in your file, you don't need to worry about this.

4) Use Import to import the file, not Open. Check to see if the dimensions are correct.

5) If it's still wrong, you can always try scaling the entire file using a known dimension as a guide.

If you still are having problems, post the file to be imported here, on the Rhino newsgroup, or if confidential, mail it to [email protected] or upload it via their website. --ch