586,094 active members*
3,861 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Question Auckland NZ: Local CNC Shop Recommendation Please

Hi, I live in Auckland NZ and am looking for a local Auckland business that could help me with some custom milling of a couple of new lead screws and nuts for my desktop CNC (Colinbus Profiler). Does anyone know of a reputable CNC shop they could recommend?

I would appreciate any suggestions.

Cheers,
    Reece

Re: Auckland NZ: Local CNC Shop Recommendation Please

Hi,
    what sort of job?

If you are talking about having lead screws made for you that is likely to be very expensive. Off-the-shelf items are by far and away better value.

Craig

PS: Christchurch.

Hi,
    when I have a job that must be perfect I go Torks Tool and Die. There is a branch in Christchurch and one in Auckland. Eye-wateringly expensive but the best job.
    For large stuff I got to South Fence here in Christchurch. Again eye-wateringly expensive but just the best work. They did all my cast iron axis beds....mint perfect. Three years
    later and I'm just about over the trauma of paying for it!!!

Craig

Thanks for your reply Craig. They look good. Depending on how expensive, I am willing to pay for something done right.

Hi,
    the last job I had Torks do for me was to mill the T slots in the platter of my new fifth axis. I have nothing which I believed was rigid enough to do a top quality job. Just for reference it is 150mm
    in diameter and 4140 steel. The job cost $600NZD+GST. They didn't specify but I would guess that is 3 hours at $200/hr

The last time I had South Fence do work for me (pre COVID) was to do my three cast iron axis beds. While I have a copy of the invoice $5490 +GST, I can't find a time estimate, but I recall thinking at the time
    about 30hrs or about $183/hr.

Both of these companies know how to charge....but then the gear they've got, it gives me a hard-on just walking in there! South Fence have a brand new Okuma (3+1) that you could park a car in.....3 million dollars worth.
    And the million dollar Okuma five axis......well I was overcome and passed out.....they had to carry me out!!!

If it is something critical, like the axis beds of my machine, or the fifth axis platter, then get it done right. Any shortcoming on those items will be reflected in every part you ever make.

Craig

Thanks for your responses.

I emailed Anthony Tork to request the work but he indicated they can't help. If anyone knows of a business in Auckland that would be more willing to help with a one-off parts replacement job I would appreciate some suggestions.

Cheers,
    Reece