586,375 active members*
3,334 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Small Part Workflow

I did a write-up of one of my workflows making small parts out of PVC plastic.
    Attachment 409186

Its a small plastic end cap used to hold Christmas lights on a driveway marker.

You can see the full write-up here:
    https://www.kronosrobotics.com/string-light-cap/
    Author of: The KRMx01 CNC Books, The KRMx02 CNC Books, The KRmc01 CNC Milling Machine Books, and Building the HANS Electric Gear Clock. All available at www.kronosrobotics.com

Re: Small Part Workflow

Doesn't Inventor have Hsm Express? I was using it in Solidworks before I started with Fusion 360.

Great article !

I have an old version of Inventor (2015) HSM is not supported.

Inventor is crazy expensive so at $2000 per year, my old version does me just fine.
    That said, for small simple parts, I will oftain just fire up Corel Draw and create my basic shape. I then export for Vcarve to make my tool paths. The whole process of idea to ready to machine can be as quick at a couple minutes. Much of what I machine is done this way.

I have also used Fusion 360 but for simple things, I come back to Corel Draw and Vcarve. I am not a big fan of Fusion 360, as I have had issues with large complicated projects.
    Author of: The KRMx01 CNC Books, The KRMx02 CNC Books, The KRmc01 CNC Milling Machine Books, and Building the HANS Electric Gear Clock. All available at www.kronosrobotics.com

To each his own.

I had problems too with big assemblies in Fusion. For this kind of project I'm using the SolidWorks license I have at work.

For CAM I prefer Fusion especially for the price. Lol

This is the machine from my CNC Construction Set book series.
    Attachment 409304

This has every single nut, bolt, and washer modeled including threads. It runs like a champ in Inventor (even my older version). It brings Fusion to its knees.