586,096 active members*
3,754 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAD Software > Solidworks > Solidworks Guitar/Surface question

Solidworks Guitar/Surface question

Hello All,

I am using solidworks 2007 to design a guitar, and have done this so far (first 3 images):

(hope the images show OK). I am going to cut this out using MasterCam soon, but already thinking about another design.

The problem I have, is that I can't figure out how to create some surfaces, like the guitar "comfort" zones, and I was wondering if anyone had some quick tips on how to do this with SolidWorks?

Basically, if you look at the 4th and 5th pictures of a guitar NOT done by me, you will notice the countours in the back and toward the top. How would I create similar countours say with my model? Are these done with some sort of a cut function? And if yes, how does the angle of the cut work?

Thank you all in advance...will be glad to share my design.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails guitar.front.jpg   guitar.back.jpg   guitar.iso.jpg   Countour-1.jpg  

Countour-2.jpg  

If it was me I'd try a lofted cut. You could also do this w/ a boundry surface and then use the surface to cut the model.

Do you do your model's as surfaces or solids?
    JerryFlyGuy
    The more I know... the more I realize I don't
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Yea - can't help much.
    Us mechanical guys do solids and usually straight geometry.
    Lofts and sweeps are the first functions that come to mind. Other than tutorials I have never touched surfacing.
    You could also give something like this http://www.cbmodelpro.com/ a try.
    I have never tried this program - i just have it bookmarked.
    Maybe you could somehow import it, stretch it, then export back.
    I wish that I had time to test all these programs I find but only 24 hours in a day.
    www.integratedmechanical.ca

ya know... looking at that picture again.. it almost looks like thats just a revolved cut.. It might take a bit of experimenting but.. that would be VERY simple to do..
    JerryFlyGuy
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Thanks

Thanks JF,

Cuuld you maybe offer some suggestions as to the process of doing this?

I have just about tried everything, and can't get the damn thing to work!

Really do appreciate the feedback...

well I did a quick splash model and attached the pic.. it comes out looking pretty close to what the other pic's you have show..

HTH

Jerry
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails revolved cut.jpg  
    JerryFlyGuy

Thanks again,

I think I got it!!

I was able to use your suggestion for a circular cut in the front, but in the back, I was not able to use that, since the cut follows a spline.

So what I did was to use the spline with a line to create a surface on 2 different planes, and offeseted them. I then used a lofted surface, and then I cut with the surface...and voila!

I need to do some tweeks, but I see now how to use these cuts to create the surfaces.

MUCH appreciate your input!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails guitar-loft1.jpg   guitar-loft2.jpg  

looks like ya got it.. don't forget to post finished pictures when you have them... it's required by all the other readers on the forum
    JerryFlyGuy

hi there
    If possible could you share that model with me
    I've been looking all over for 3d guitar models but with no luck.

Thats 'cause most people model their own Vicros. It's REALLY not that hard..it's not going to be something you'll find all over the web. Guitars, like so many other things are a form of Art, people are generally pretty protective of giving art away.. esp artists.
    JerryFlyGuy

That does look great and looks like fun too.

What material were you going to use for the body?

Scott

aka enat

I got thinking about this again since posting this am.. so I took my coffee break and a few extra minutes to bang together a guitar model.. it's kinda fun.. the gloss show's how much contour I got into it..

I just may have to get into this guitar thing.. it's been years since I played one.. might have to pick it up again..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails guitar-3.jpg   guitar-4.jpg   guitar-6.jpg   guitar-5.jpg  

JerryFlyGuy

Me too. I haven't picked (no pun) one up for nearly 40 years.

I have my old Harmony guitar sitting here in need of some minor repair.
    When my daugther saw it she claimed it for herself, once I do the repairs.

Scott

..the pics loaded, looks great.

I have already cut the previous guitar, and it came out great. Used Honduran Mahogany for the body. Already working on my next model (1 3/4 Alder), which will have more surface countours and the like...finishing the damn thing is the hard part :-)

That is a really cool render...maybe someday I will be able to do that..LOL! Now, just having fun working with surfaces, and stiching...

Have been doing some dry runs on Mastercam X2 (simulating) and so far, it looks promising for a carved top....this is what ultimately I am shooting for.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ms-sim.pic.jpg  

That looks awesome Jerry
    Again I ask you, please share with me.
    I'm a newbie wtih the Solidworks thing so it's going to take ages for me to design a body, but I'm very advanced in mastercam and would like to machine one.Pleeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaassssssssseeeeeee?

Vicros the reality is this, I could give you this model, but then what.. you've got one model.. you might get one or two from someone else so what, you still don't know how to model them.

Instead I suggest you start to model your own and ask questions on why this or that doesn't work and we'll help you that way. So far you've posted 7 times, and 5 of those posts are asking others for their models. Your not going to get far going this route.

Think of it as that old Chinese proverb. "Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day, teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime"

Start modeling my friend...
    JerryFlyGuy

VERY WELL said JF!

In addition, say you got a model, do you know how much more goes into guitar building? That is just like 25% of it....

What is your scale length from the model? Will you be able to find a neck that fits it spot on? Or will you then ask for a neck model? How about the custom routes for the Trem and bridges etc...you sure you can find all the same hardware? Finishing?

There is a LOT of work that goes into this, not just the building of the model.

Like JF said, we are here to help you, as others have helped me...learn by doing..there is no easy way out...

peace...

Ok You Win

Hi Guys

I Will Try My Best And Keep You Posted

As For The Neck And Other Specs I Can Buy From The Shelf.
    I Wasn't Going To Take Your Models And Start Machining.

I Was Looking For A Platform To Start Working From, Like Seeing What Features To Use Etc.
    Sorry For Trying To "steal" Your Designs. It Was Not My Intent.

Speak To You Soon.