586,108 active members*
3,084 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Question a couple questions...

hi guys, my name is Dan. my dream is to design and build my own things... well as i am big into the RC airplane world and I will be mostly building with Bolsa wood, hard woods, and foam. (Depron and bluecore foam ) but then again, I know I will be wanting to make stuff out of metal. I would also want to learn how to mill my own metal parts and stuff, but first I want to learn how to CNC router cutt!

I am reading that I can build my own CNC router table but still have not found a good source of info on exactly what "To do" and what to buy to build it

this CNC router table here on this website (cuttingedgecnc.com) is exactly what I am looking for. http://www.cuttingedgecnc.com/foamyairplane.htm

but I see that on K2's website, it is about 4k RTR? am I correct? if I can build a router table similar to this one (has to be about 40" long and alteast 20" width) cheaper, that is what I am looking for. now I don't know to much about the software I need to use with a CNC router but I have TurboCad and was wondering if this software can drive the CNC router table? if it can that can save me some money.

what I am looking for is a cheap DIY router table that can handle cutting thin aluminum and hard woods and along with balsa and foam, but yet it be a good working smooth cutting exact cutt out router?

if I sound dumb please tell me but I am new to this and have always wanted to get into it. and I am willing to do what ever it takes to learn and to build (or buy, if I have to) a CNC router table (AND MILLING! somday later on )

thanks! -Dan

any one?

Have you browsed through the dyi? Rockcliff, Joe's, Solsylva and good plans. I'm new to cnc as well, but there is no magic to it. X, Y, Z axis is all you need for movement. A trim router is good to start with. Xylotec, Kelinginc.net have motor/driver/power supply kits. I've already sunk $$$ into many parts.....determine exactly what you want to build. If you mainly cut soft wood, you can get away with less robust rails, motors and could save lots of money. If you really want to get into soft metal, you need a much more robust machine, costing much more.

Quote Originally Posted by jimluu View Post
    Have you browsed through the dyi? Rockcliff, Don's, Solsylva and good plans. I'm new to cnc as well, but there is no magic to it. X, Y, Z axis is all you need for movement. A trim router is good to start with. Xylotec, Kelinginc.net have motor/driver/power supply kits. I've already sunk $$$ into many parts.....determine exactly what you want to build. If you mainly cut soft wood, you can get away with less robust rails, motors and could save lots of money. If you really want to get into soft metal, you need a much more robust machine, costing much more.

well, I know I will mainly be working with Depron foam and balsa wood. I would like to cut metal but if it's gonna cost me alot more I will just stick to the old way of cutting it.

I want to start making my own foam RC airplanes and sell them online.. and same with balsa airplane kits. but I will need it accurate

example of what I would like to be doing. ---> http://www.cuttingedgecnc.com/foamyairplane.htm

Try a lengthened rockcliffe design. Real cheap and easy.

I'd look into building Joe's design. There are a ton of people building them.
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=346
    Joe also sells pre cut kits. PM him for info.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Try a lengthened rockcliffe design. Real cheap and easy.

Do you have a Link do this design? I tried searching it. nothing came up but my thread lol

Quote Originally Posted by rcbamm View Post
    Do you have a Link do this design? I tried searching it. nothing came up but my thread lol

I found Rockliffs website and I like that design alot but it is wayy to small for what I am looking for. i'm gonna read some more and see if I can make the length longer.

Joes kit is way cool and has a large cut size too.

man I really like the fact that the Rockcliff design can be made out of wood. I am good at working with wood. I havn't had to much time with cutting metal. but bolt on assembly with metal I can do.

man I really like the fact that the Rockcliff design can be made out of wood. I am good at working with wood. I havn't had to much time with cutting metal. but bolt on assembly with metal I can do.

OK, seems like I was in the same boat just a few weeks ago. Here's my personal design for you.

x rail: $300 : http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...4823&rd=1&rd=1
    I know you want 40", but you need 48" to account for the length of the truck
    Ball screw for x rails: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...8063&rd=1&rd=1

these go for around $125
    y rail: http://cgi.ebay.com/Pacific-Bearing-...QQcmdZViewItem
    These sell for under $100 and includes the ballscrew to simplify things

z axis: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...2190&rd=1&rd=1
    These are around $100 and the ball screw is built in.

Hook'em together with basic wood panels (see dyi pictures for ideas)

Driver Motor: http://kelinginc.net/CNCPackage.html

Package 'a' is plenty for your needs

Mach 3 software ($140), CAD/CAM software: calibre and freemill are free to get you started.

Good luck

This a great package for $1000. All ball screw with little to no backlash. Would be sturdy and precise enough for most projects. Once you're up and going, use it to cut aluminum panels to replace your wooden panels for a super sturdy machine.

Oh, I forgot. Use a router for your spindle (the Hitachi goes for around $120 at Lowes). Mount for Hitachi router around $70 at k2cnc.com.

OK, seems like I was in the same boat just a few weeks ago. Here's my personal design for you.

x rail: $300 : http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...4823&rd=1&rd=1
    I know you want 40", but you need 48" to account for the length of the truck
    Ball screw for x rails: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...8063&rd=1&rd=1

these go for around $125
    y rail: http://cgi.ebay.com/Pacific-Bearing-...QQcmdZViewItem
    These sell for under $100 and includes the ballscrew to simplify things

z axis: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...2190&rd=1&rd=1
    These are around $100 and the ball screw is built in.

Hook'em together with basic wood panels (see dyi pictures for ideas)

Driver Motor: http://kelinginc.net/CNCPackage.html

Package 'a' is plenty for your needs

Mach 3 software ($140), CAD/CAM software: calibre and freemill are free to get you started.

Good luck

This a great package for $1000. All ball screw with little to no backlash. Would be sturdy and precise enough for most projects. Once you're up and going, use it to cut aluminum panels to replace your wooden panels for a super sturdy machine.

thank you Jimluu very much for supplying me with this wonderful information.

I got a couple questions.... the ball screw for the X rail. what else will I need to hook the ball screw up to the X rails? any special mounting brackets? and will I need two ball screws for each rail? will i also need belts to drive the/these ball screw/s?

The Y rail. I notice it has some kind device in the one end of it, is that a motor?

now I have TurboCad already, can I use that to design my parts and then will I need CAM software? also, can I use my Laptop to run the router?

every thing looks good. I got a better idea of what I will be building now

thanks alot! -Dan

thank you Jimluu very much for supplying me with this wonderful information.

I got a couple questions.... the ball screw for the X rail. what else will I need to hook the ball screw up to the X rails? any special mounting brackets? and will I need two ball screws for each rail? will i also need belts to drive the/these ball screw/s?

The Y rail. I notice it has some kind device in the one end of it, is that a motor?

now I have TurboCad already, can I use that to design my parts and then will I need CAM software? also, can I use my Laptop to run the router?

every thing looks good. I got a better idea of what I will be building now

thanks alot! -Dan
    The ballscrew that I linked to on ebay has a flange with mounting holes already. Make an attachment of some sort to your moving gantry. You really only need one ballscrew for the x axis. But you can use 2 if you'd like. I don't see any added benefits and it cost much more (one more ballscrew with mounts, one more motor and one more driver). As for how to mount ballscrews, you need bearing on both ends. One end must be fixed to eliminate axial movements (there is a faq on ballscrews in this forum somewhere) Misumiusa makes the least expensive mounts that I can find anywhere...but they still run over $100. This is why I recommented slides with built in ball screws for your y and z axis. The motors can be mounted directly to the ball screws using 'lovejoy' type couplings. Just match the size of the milled end of the ballscrew to the size of your motor shaft.

One the y rail there appears to be some type of motor. You can probably remove it and mount your own motor. I'm not 100% sure. I've bought several slides to experiement with on ebay, and most of them have real standard motor mounts. If not you may have to make one out of metal or plastic...not real hard

Yes you can use turbocad, but I think you still need a cam software. I'd start with something free until you have had time to read through this forum and find what's best for you.

As far as laptops, I think I've heard that some people have trouble with their parallel ports for some reason. If you are this far, then you are already ahead of me

Please take this advice.....CNC is great fun. I'm the excitable type and once I'm into it, I tend to dive in head first. As you can see from my profile, I've only been around for about 6 weeks. I've managed to spend $$$$ on dumb purchases that doesn't work for my needs. I only made those links to give you ideas. Browse through this forum, and think real hard before you spend your hard earned money.

The ballscrew that I linked to on ebay has a flange with mounting holes already. Make an attachment of some sort to your moving gantry. You really only need one ballscrew for the x axis. But you can use 2 if you'd like. I don't see any added benefits and it cost much more (one more ballscrew with mounts, one more motor and one more driver). As for how to mount ballscrews, you need bearing on both ends. One end must be fixed to eliminate axial movements (there is a faq on ballscrews in this forum somewhere) Misumiusa makes the least expensive mounts that I can find anywhere...but they still run over $100. This is why I recommented slides with built in ball screws for your y and z axis. The motors can be mounted directly to the ball screws using 'lovejoy' type couplings. Just match the size of the milled end of the ballscrew to the size of your motor shaft.

One the y rail there appears to be some type of motor. You can probably remove it and mount your own motor. I'm not 100% sure. I've bought several slides to experiement with on ebay, and most of them have real standard motor mounts. If not you may have to make one out of metal or plastic...not real hard

Yes you can use turbocad, but I think you still need a cam software. I'd start with something free until you have had time to read through this forum and find what's best for you.

As far as laptops, I think I've heard that some people have trouble with their parallel ports for some reason. If you are this far, then you are already ahead of me

Please take this advice.....CNC is great fun. I'm the excitable type and once I'm into it, I tend to dive in head first. As you can see from my profile, I've only been around for about 6 weeks. I've managed to spend $$$$ on dumb purchases that doesn't work for my needs. I only made those links to give you ideas. Browse through this forum, and think real hard before you spend your hard earned money.

Thanks for the more information Jimluu

I need your opinion on this though, or every ones opinion. I really really like the Solsylva 25 x 37 table. but as i'm reading, the stepper motors and other parts take away from the cutting space? or is the dimensions on Solsylva website the dimensions of the cutting space? why I like this also. when i am building some thing that I have had no experience with before (and can't afford to make mistakes) I will need a step by step book or instructions to be successful. so, that is why I like this alot also.

has any one out there built this table before? good? bad? says it will cost up to $250 to build and I think that is great. but if I am really going to get what I pay for (as in poor working machine) I would rather save for better parts. but if this thing can cut foam and balsa wood straight and accurate from what I drew on TurboCad then I will be happy.

I'm gonna do some searching on this table.

-Dan

Thanks for the more information Jimluu

I need your opinion on this though, or every ones opinion. I really really like the Solsylva 25 x 37 table. but as i'm reading, the stepper motors and other parts take away from the cutting space? or is the dimensions on Solsylva website the dimensions of the cutting space? why I like this also. when i am building some thing that I have had no experience with before (and can't afford to make mistakes) I will need a step by step book or instructions to be successful. so, that is why I like this alot also.

has any one out there built this table before? good? bad? says it will cost up to $250 to build and I think that is great. but if I am really going to get what I pay for (as in poor working machine) I would rather save for better parts. but if this thing can cut foam and balsa wood straight and accurate from what I drew on TurboCad then I will be happy.

I'm gonna do some searching on this table.

-Dan

Hi. I bought the solsylva plan as a start, just to see how things work. I find it very difficult to make the rails on all the axis. In all honesty it doesn't cost more to buy high quality rails on ebay...if you are patient. How made rails are great, but there's lots of room for headaches. For instant, if you want 40" x travel, you can easily buy it on ebay for around $200...most case near new. THK/Thompson rails are generally great quality....no play at all. I tried to build rails w/ skate bearings, and the results were no where near as good. Plus long term wear on emt tubes are a factor as well. just my 2cents. I would recommend that you read through the solsylva plans to see how things come together. There is a solsylva thread in dyi forums. If you are on a budget, this is a great place to start.

For pure simplicity, I find the rockcliffe plan much simpler. You get a bunch of CAD files that are no where near the detail of the solsylva plans, but they have a great and active forum that you get invited to once you purchase the plans. Even though I'm not using either plans for my design, I'm glad I paid for them b/c they gave me the back ground and lots of ideas for my final product.

Hi. I bought the solsylva plan as a start, just to see how things work. I find it very difficult to make the rails on all the axis. In all honesty it doesn't cost more to buy high quality rails on ebay...if you are patient. How made rails are great, but there's lots of room for headaches. For instant, if you want 40" x travel, you can easily buy it on ebay for around $200...most case near new. THK/Thompson rails are generally great quality....no play at all. I tried to build rails w/ skate bearings, and the results were no where near as good. Plus long term wear on emt tubes are a factor as well. just my 2cents. I would recommend that you read through the solsylva plans to see how things come together. There is a solsylva thread in dyi forums. If you are on a budget, this is a great place to start.

For pure simplicity, I find the rockcliffe plan much simpler. You get a bunch of CAD files that are no where near the detail of the solsylva plans, but they have a great and active forum that you get invited to once you purchase the plans. Even though I'm not using either plans for my design, I'm glad I paid for them b/c they gave me the back ground and lots of ideas for my final product.
    I built a rockcliff router from plan almost a year ago, and am still using it for my hobby work, RC planes, I must agree with you jimluu rockcliff uses simple designs that actually can be built very easily at home, I also built rockcliff's design for adding a foam cutter attachment, for my foam wings. In the last few months I have been gathering parts for a larger machine which will also use some of the ideas and designs from rockcliff too, I think once you get going with DIY cnc, you can really personalize your machine to exactly what you need.

Quote Originally Posted by macgemby View Post
    I built a rockcliff router from plan almost a year ago, and am still using it for my hobby work, RC planes, I must agree with you jimluu rockcliff uses simple designs that actually can be built very easily at home, I also built rockcliff's design for adding a foam cutter attachment, for my foam wings. In the last few months I have been gathering parts for a larger machine which will also use some of the ideas and designs from rockcliff too, I think once you get going with DIY cnc, you can really personalize your machine to exactly what you need.

Can the Rockcliff design be modified to be longer? around 40"?

Can the Rockcliff design be modified to be longer? around 40"?
    the plans include options for larger machines , for fixed and moving gantry machines, 24 x 36 but I think you can go larger. When you buy their plans you can get all new future designs and updates and support for free from their machine group, my next rockcliff build will be just slightly larger almost the same as Max's rockcliff http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showth...light=rockliff
    Mac