586,096 active members*
3,689 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > Tormach really slow to get out of e-Stop, could use some help!

Tormach really slow to get out of e-Stop, could use some help!

Hey everyone,

I've got a series 2 that I've owned since 2012 (bought it from a company that never used it). I upgraded the motors but am still running Mach 3. I plan on upgrading to Path Pilot this month. After the Holidays I couldn't get my machine out of e-stop but it worked fine before. What I noticed is if I reset the machine (i.e. twist the red mushroom button and hit the green start button), the machine LED will turn red as it should.

Then if hit the reset button right away I can't get the computer light to turn red and get out of e-stop. The really odd thing is if I wait about 10 minutes and then hit reset on the computer the computer light will turn red and I can run the machine.

I've been in touch with the Tormach team and one of the first things they recommend is to move to Path Pilot. I think this could be part of the problem as the controlled I have is 11 years old.

Part of me thinks there is also a problem inside the control panel.

Has anyone else every experienced the same problem?

I've got through the e-stop trouble shooting document Tormach published but everything comes out fine. No problem with the red light coming on the controller board, no issues with limit switches and the cables have been checked.

Thanks in advance, CT

Re: Tormach really slow to get out of e-Stop, could use some help!

1100/2 upgraded here. E--stop is dead simple hardware; since you've checked it, it isn't the hardware. Everything you've posted says "control computer". I ran M3 for years, it eventually went strange and pretended to be a hardware problem. Nothing fixed it. Get a PP stick and make the move. You can build a computer for around half the price of the Tormach controller, or just buy a controller from Tormach. Only problem with build your own is no Tormach support for the controller. Pure cost/benefit decision.

Hey GLCarlson,

Thanks for insight, great to know I’m not the only one seeing this issue. Well the original controller lasted 11 years so I’d say I got my money’s worth. I’m going to buy the Tormach version however as I use it for work and can’t afford to be down.

Thanks, again!

Just to clarify a point. My M3 problem was a spindle speed control issue, not e-stop. It was clearly M3 that went wonky. I still have the computer: it works fine.

See the threads over at the PP subforum for other options for controllers.