586,082 active members*
3,617 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

BOSS 8 problem

Hello,
    I recently aquired 2 series2 r2e3's with BOSS8 Controls, The controls work, the axis home & jog fine. I am using a phase converter for the 3 phase. Everytime I try to start the spindle the control seems to either fault, or re-sets as if the voltage drops too low. I have checked the terminals for the lube switch & that is closed. Is there any reason not to supply 115v to the circuits from my garage wiring rather than using transformed 220v to 115V?
    Thank you for any help,
    Cutmore

Spindle start problem

Just bumping the thread, Any one have a suggestion?
    Thanks for any help.
    Cutmore

boss 8

hello

first off not all phase converters make a constant 3rd leg. what u need to do is to start ur converter and test each leg. the generated leg drops to say 50 volt u have the wrong type. i am assuming ur using a rotary style. u need one like GWM.

u should be supplying the phase converter 220/240 v single phase [pls see my "BUT" to follow]. i would strongly suggest not applying and other or additional power source. just get rid of the transformer and use a 220v breaker switch. then use a true 3rd leg rotary phase converter and if the controller works then this setup should work fine.

BUT don't do anything else till you confirm what power ur machines need. look on the rear cabinet it will tell u what u need.

good luck

Thanks for the reply,

I am supplying 220v, I am using a rotary, The machine is set up for 230v( the transformer taps were set there when I got the mill)

I am confused by "i would strongly suggest not applying and other or additional power source. just get rid of the transformer and use a 220v breaker switch."
    Did you mean to supply 220 to the transformer directly and use a disconnect? The transformer is a stepdown to 115v so why not just supply 115v? Or maybe I mis-understood you.
    Thanks

bp

i probably misunderstood you. but what i was thinking is you were going to add another 110v line.

the important part is that the phase converter shows full voltage when you go across legs. some i think when going to ground may show some wild voltage or maybe i'm reversed. anyway all 3 legs must have full voltage period. you'll have 3 hot and 1 grd. so go across the 3 legs and to ground to verify.

you'll want to make sure u have the cmos batteries fresh. they are on the left side of the head behind some panels. again i am assuming this is a ridged ram style which is what i have.

the part i like about my r2 is you can set it up to read the old boss 7 and back programs. i use my boss 5 programs all the time. i have the r2 set up to read both an xp computer and the old stand a lone 5 1/4 box that came out when they were first made.

good luck

Power

Hi,

I have the same machine. I had a phase converter set up and I had the same problems. I added a variable frequency ac drive to run the spindle and am running the drives and the logic on 220 single phase. It took a little rewiring but it runs well and with out all of the converter noise. I also found that the drives are very over voltage sensitive. I was getting faults and tracked it to the voltage being high to the drives.

Gary

Thanks for the help guys,
    What program do you guys use to send/receive files to your boss controls? I have not had time to even try that yet. I was wondering if bobcad can communicate or will I need software for that?
    Cutmore

Smile boss 8

guys

your boss 8 and up are critical on electric currents etc:. it is far better to run the correct rotorary phase converter. if none of the previous owners screwed around and the wiring is intact from the factory just get the converter you'll have better luck doing repairs.

my 1st cnc was and excello with a bandit [dana] controller. i tried a phasamatic because the mfg said it would work. well it didn't. the 3rd leg fell off to about 50 volts. the motor did ok but the controller wouldn't work. that is because the controller only needs single phase but it takes that from all 3 wire leads and then does various transformer functions and isolations to make it work. i had to rewire the controller to get it to work because i said to heck with it and got a static ph conv that has no 3rd leg. well it worked fine except i lost the M02 function so i had to hit the clear button after each run but NBT. when i got my 1st boss i went to a GWM converter that gave me a constant 3rd leg and it worked just like it was supposed to. i ran that whole shop on a 100 amp single phase power. 2 cnc mills, 1 man mill, 2 lathes and 2 horz and 1 vertical saw, 7hp compressor and a 150amp welder. got to know electrical circuits fairly well.

good luck

I am running my R2E3 BOSS 8 II on a 7.5 hp phase convertor. Although the spindle motor is only 2 hp, the added capacity of the convertor will allow additional equipment to be run.
    I have no problems with the controls dropping out with this arrangement.
    Steve

steve

pls post the brand of rotory conv u have

tks
    craig

Craig, I need to backtrack on the hp of the converter. After reveiwing the specs of the converter, it is a 5 KW.
    Brand name is TEMCo (Tower Electric Motor Company) Model 6500-5KW.
    I purchased it direct from the company (thru their website www.Phaseconverter.com ) new for $700 delivered with a 6 year warranty.
    Steve

steve

thanks for the reply. that 5kw is probably 5kva. has to do with the measurement of output. i also wanted the guys here to see about rotary phase converters. 5 kva is the same size i eventually got for my 1st rram
    tks
    craig

i stand corrected that site is calling it 5kw. transformers and ro conv always well i guess almost always defines the size by kva.

The quirk of the weekend(long post)

Thanks for the help guys,
    So this weekend I tried running the drive again, I took out the trusty analog vom(do not have a digital yet) Check the voltage on the 3 legs from the rotary. 220, 220, 190! Next I check the voltage from the step down transformers, (220 to 110) 190 in 100 out. (2nd 220 to 120) 220 in 120 out. (3 phase 220 to 70) 220, 220, 190! out 70,70,60. Ah HA! Looks like we found something. So, I check and 1 220-110 transformer is wired to 1l1,+1l2, and the 2nd is wired to 2l1, +3l1. Rewire so both go to 220 line. Now have correct voltage coming from both transformers Yay! Try starting spindle, Drive fault (4000 error) Damn! Re-set control, home axis, try starting spindle, Yay! It starts no fault:banana: Make 1st chips. Stop spindle, try to re-start. Sometimes it does sometimes it faults? I measured the voltage when I start the spindle and the voltage from the 3 phase transformer output jumps to ~85v at the spindle start. I think this is faulting the drives.
    Can anyone give me a suggestion? Do I need to balance the voltage from the rotary better? If so how?
    Sorry about all the questions but I hope if I get this sorted out maybe it will help someone in the future.
    Thanks,
    Cutmore

hi cutmore

it sounds like ur running both a transformer and a phase convert. if u r STOP!!

just wire the phase converter directly to ur machine. no need to run a transformer. just take the 3 actually 4 including the ground. and hook them directly to the line in # 1 2 3. start with the manufactured leg on line 3.

so

you'll have coming from your home elect box 220v single phase. you'll hook them to the "IN" side of ur phase converter. now take the ph converted lines from the phase converter and attach them to lines 1, 2, &3.

now what does ur electric look like regarding the voltage in to the mill. don't throw the switch just measure across and to ground and report back re the voltage seen.

if ur trying to run a transformer that is likely ur problem.
    tks
    craig

Craig,
    Thanks for the help,
    I am not running a transformer + rotary phase converter, I was referring to the stepdown transformers in the control enclosure. voltage from rotary phase converter 220, 220, 190. These are not measured to ground as this is 3 phase.

Instead of rewiring the control transformers to met your needs, make sure that you have the control connections NOT connected to the phantom leg. Had to do this with my machine and have the correct voltages to all the contron circuits.
    And for the nth time, when dealing with a 3 phase machine, the L1,2,3 voltage to ground have no consequence to the operation of the machine.
    Steve

Steve,
    Thanks for helping, 1 of the transformers in the cabinet was wired to 2 legs of the 3 phase and the 2nd transformer was wired to the phantom leg.
    Cutmore