586,113 active members*
3,293 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAD Software > Solidworks > How to cut a projection of a sketch from a body with thickness

How to cut a projection of a sketch from a body with thickness

Hello,

I have attached two pictures with my problem.
    I would like to make a 3D cut, like a 3d pocket on a solid body.
    If i restrict the cutting to just one surface(for example, the fillet face), it's working, with "Offset from Surface", under "Cut" panel. But there are two surfaces for my needs, and even more, i do not know how to do it !
    Does anybody have any ideea about that?

Thank you in advance,
    ddanutz
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails part_test.jpg   part_test_02.jpg  

I hope I'm understanding the problem...

using the square-ish example, you may have to select 'the body' instead of the surfaces in the feature pane.

enat

enat,

if i will do that, i will not intersect the model, and i get an error. I might need an "offset from body" to make the cut bellow the surface of the body, but i can't find this feature in SW.

thanks,
    ddanutz

I can't seem to be able to use the projected curve also for an extruded-cut. Yes, it is not 2D curve, but what is the purpose of this projected curve anyway, if you can't use it with features, you can't make a surface out of it, you can't offset it to make a solid body... i am wrong, am i?

thanks,
    ddanutz

Quote Originally Posted by ddanutz View Post
    I can't seem to be able to use the projected curve also for an extruded-cut. Yes, it is not 2D curve, but what is the purpose of this projected curve anyway, if you can't use it with features, you can't make a surface out of it, you can't offset it to make a solid body... i am wrong, am i?

thanks,
    ddanutz
    You are right, it can't be done simply.

It can be done. You have to knit the two surfaces first. Use the cut|offset from surface|you may have to do a reverse offset|select the knit surface as the surface|do the cut.

You'll get the preview and it will do the cut and show you the edge, but you'll say....where's the cut?

Go to the tree, under surface bodies, select the knit surface, hide it...poof
    there's the cut. ;-)

I just happened to create a plane above the model, just because I like to sketch on planes more than surfaces.

enat
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cut1.jpg  

Unfortunatly the cut just won't work in that manor.. Is there a reason you can't just make a plane which is parrallel to the right plane, yet move it over where you need it and cut a curved shaper across the part to the width you need?
    JerryFlyGuy
    The more I know... the more I realize I don't
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

...works that way too.

6 of one, half dozen of the other. ;-)

enat
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails part2.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by pixburghenat View Post
    ...works that way too.

6 of one, half dozen of the other. ;-)

enat
    yup.. and the neat thing is you can link the plane to the top profile sketch so that if you update the top sketch it will update the cut in both the wide and length [however the depth will have to be controlled by the extruded cut sketch]

niffty..
    JerryFlyGuy
    The more I know... the more I realize I don't
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Hi,

Sorry for my late reply, thank so much for your kind information.
    I have not understood it exactly, i am unable to do the knitting,
    but i'll try for the next few hours.
    I've made another thing, with creating a separate part with the shape that needs to be cut-out, made an assembly, and then mould->cavity, and extract the other part.
    But it's way to complex, to make another part, to position it exactly on assembly...etc.

Thank you again,
    ddanutz