586,065 active members*
4,517 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Milltronics > Where is the Milltronics VM4020 made?

Where is the Milltronics VM4020 made?

Hey guys, quick question. I've been seeing some conflicting info, we are looking at purchasing our first machine but I am wondering, where is the VM4020 made?

Thanks-Dan

Re: Where is the Milltronics VM4020 made?

Whats the conflicting info you have heard? Waconia, Minnesota is where they machine the castings and assemble

I have heard that they are built in Minnesota, but I also heard that they are recently built overseas since being purchased by Hurco.

Hi Mustang, Since Hurco bought Milltronics ( a good thing) ( see my previous posts) The machines are cast and "mostly" built in Taiwan at the Hurco factory. The machines are WELL built and controlled by Hurco specs and on site inspections ( USA) So, no more machined and assembled in Waconia. But options are installed in Waconia.

I will once again say, It is a GOOD thing that Hurco bought Milltronics. The previous company (LDI) did not know the machine tool industry. and wanted to run it like a "box, office furniture company"
    ( not a good out come)

It shortly became apparent that Hurco is into Milltroniics BIG TIME. While the frames are made in Taiwan, (under US, on site control) They know and appreciate the power and user friendliness of the Milltronics control.( Hurco uses some Milltronics features and Milltronics uses some Hurco features)They are on board for the LONG run. (you do not spend the time and expense of bringing new machines and new controls on board if you " don't believe" ( ( 1st year, brought and new line of machines and the 9000 control) 2nd year brought out new inline spindle machines, 3rd year brought back the VK-4 knee mill and the SL slant bed lathes and they continue to "bring it on".
    The "fit and finish" is what (as a former employee of Milltronics) I pushed for a long time.
    see the (www.Milltronics usa.com) web site. ( they just got better)

Hurco also bought the "Takumi" line.( LDI Milltronics bought back in ~2009'ish)) This is a high end box way machine that "IMHO" can compete with Okuma and several others. They are ordered with Fanuc, Siemens, Hiedinhien and a couple other controls. It is big in the Asian area but, under represented in the US.

My only complaint is, They "still" do not spend enough on marketing. They still depend on "word of mouth" while other "lesser" machines are in every other page of any magazine out there. with cute girls passing out what ever "free" stuff they come up with at any venue there is. ( Marketing does work) BUT, come on $6K per machine to have print and have cute girls handing out free stuff, But hey, what does a super bowl commercial cost? It "don't" make it better, it makes it more "well known" You have to cut some thing out of something to pay for "all that"

Milltronics, still the best for all the 90% guys out there. IMHO.

sportybob