586,430 active members*
4,099 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 3 123

Plasma table construction in progress

I got a message from the site this morning stating that I have been away for a long time, and encouraged me to stop by for a visit. I have actually been very busy building, so haven't had much time to do pretty much anything.

I'm in the process of building a 5X9' plasma table. Why 5X9? Mostly because pretty much all the steel we get here is 4X8'. That is not to say that 5X10 is not possible, just my work's suppliers seem to have only 4X8.....but I suppose when you're working with 1" plate 4X8' is enough....

The extra width allows me some flexibility with sheet placement, and the extra length allows me to have a "home" position for the gantry (that's the theory anyways). This should mean that I can load the table using a plate clamp and an overhead of some sort (still to be figured out....probably an A-frame on wheels with a chain block to lift) without hitting the gantry.

I am using the aluminium rails as runners for the x-axis (shimmed so that they are straight and parallel within .005" or so). On them will go a carriage using skate bearings and all this will attach to the gantry. The Y axis will run on the gantry tubing.

After trying twice to order rack and pinion from Mcmaster Carr (the first time they canceled the order without contacting me, and the second time they finally got back to me and told me that they can't ship to Canada....B*st*rds!!), I decided to run the x and y axes with roller chain (good old Princess Auto). The z axis will be run off acme threaded rod, and shielded from plasma dust.

I bought a complete CNC servo/stepper package from C and CNC (torchhead), and am eagerly awaiting the time when I can play with it. On a side note: Tom and his wife are absolutely fantastic to deal with....I wish all customer service could be like that.

Once I get this working, I will post the Solidworks assembly file (right now I'm a bit behind on the required changes), but I will post pics as I go.....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCF0155.jpg   DSCF0156.jpg   DSCF0157.jpg   DSCF0158.jpg  

Where in canada are you?

My buddy and I rebuilt an old CNC table installing new equipment.

We also build a pretty bad-*** cnc table that is 90% finished (buddy went off to build a house and I went off travelling and got married so we never finished it). Its a 6'x12' table with a cutting capacity of 5'x10', has a plasma and oxy-torch combo (sitting beside eachother), runs on open pillow block bearings on precision shafts, servos turning belt drives all around (except z axis is a lead screw thing which we bought on ebay). It has thc, a water bath, etc. It weights about 2000lbs.

You can search my thread i started in here for my table from like 1 year ago. Its called "A new table buildup thread" or something like that. or check out www.ubcustom.com/cnc

If you are nearby we should hook up and share knowledge!

Im living in Edmonton right now but my hometown is the lower mainland in bc.

Erik

Wink Plasma machine.

Hi Canadamaxxer,

How long will you finish your table? I am curious when it complete.

Hi Erik,
    It's so cool on your project. Do you have any photos after cutting?

Cheers,
    Samak

energyforce: I am also in Edmonton..... I would appreciate getting together and sharing info....although I don't know how much I can contribute.....LOL....

I have not had that much time to work on the project....it is moving forwards, but slowly. I am hoping that I can get some time freed up for it in the next couple of days. The x axis gantry is installed and rolling, and I'm just getting into the y axis and other bits and pieces. My next big project is to cut keyways for my jackshafts, cut the shafts to length and then start installing the roller chain.

I will post some pics when it looks appreciably different....

Hey man, give me a shout at [email protected] and give me your number etc and we can hook up? I will be off work and in Edmonton Aug 17 for 4 days. I live close to 97st and 137 ave, about 5 kms north of there....

I dont know what skills you have, but I am a mechanical engineer and I can probably help you with the torgue, power, inertia ratios, etc if u need it.

Hey Canadamaxxer,
    Great looking table and nice welding too.
    Do you plan to have a water tray?
    Also...how are your slats held in place?

Vince

Very nice table!

At first I thought you had weld the slats to the table, I downloaded one of your pics & zoomed in, from what I see you have two small bits of metal to form a slot that the slat just sits inside (no weld on the slat)?

Quote Originally Posted by vcooney View Post
    Hey Canadamaxxer,
    Great looking table and nice welding too.
    Do you plan to have a water tray?
    Also...how are your slats held in place?

Vince
    Hi there,

Thank you for the compliments. I do try to make the welds as nice a I can....I've had some great teachers. I am planning on building a water tray for the table, but will be cutting the pieces for that once I have the table running. To support the slats, I put a 2X3 angle iron shelf all the way around the table. The water tray will sit on top of the ledge created by using the 2X3 angle. Inside of that, I put a 2X2 angle frame. To actually hold the slats up, I cut about 100 small pieces of 1/4 X 2 flat bar, and welded them on each side of the vertical slats.....so that they are supported, but so that the slats can be removed once they are cut up too badly. I should take some recent pics of the table....I have actually got a fair bit more completed on the project.....I'm building the x and y axis drive systems.

Quote Originally Posted by Switcher View Post
    Very nice table!

At first I thought you had weld the slats to the table, I downloaded one of your pics & zoomed in, from what I see you have two small bits of metal to form a slot that the slat just sits inside (no weld on the slat)?

Yup....you got it bang on....no welding on the slats at all. I built the whole table in such a way that I can disassemble it and only need 2 people to move it. The removable slats were a huge part of that feature....

canadamaxxer,
    How about some updates on your plasma table...it's to nice to stop now.

Quote Originally Posted by vcooney View Post
    canadamaxxer,
    How about some updates on your plasma table...it's to nice to stop now.
    I too would like to see some updated photos.

I also went to great lengths to be able to take my table apart, or expand it's size. I also made my bearing rails easily replacable so I can bring it's accuracy back up once wear develops. I bolted all my gear rack on too in case of wear or accident.

Looks good, Keep up the good work.
    If it works.....Don't fix it!

Here are some update pics. I have not abandoned this project by any means.....I just ran into a bit of a problem with time to complete the project.....and parts to get stuff finished. Hopefully I have all the parts I need AND the time to get this thing running.....

Please forgive all the crap in the background of these pics.....I'm working with limited space and only 1/2 the garage/shop is finished...so the other half gets all the leftover crap and clutter...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCF1133.jpg   DSCF1134.jpg   DSCF1136.jpg   DSCF1137.jpg  

DSCF1138.jpg   DSCF1139.jpg   DSCF1140.jpg   DSCF1141.jpg  

DSCF1142.jpg   DSCF1143.jpg   DSCF1144.jpg   DSCF1146.jpg  

Nice Table CanadaMaxxer, are you working from a set of drawings? or is it mostly in your head & on some sketches on napkins in different places?

just wondering . . . I'm getting ready to start building a talbe & I'm still getting it clear how I'm going to do it. I'd like to be able to change out the cutting head between plasma & router with a long Z travel ability.

Wink

Great job keep working and posting pics

Quote Originally Posted by mcArch View Post
    Nice Table CanadaMaxxer, are you working from a set of drawings? or is it mostly in your head & on some sketches on napkins in different places?

just wondering . . . I'm getting ready to start building a talbe & I'm still getting it clear how I'm going to do it. I'd like to be able to change out the cutting head between plasma & router with a long Z travel ability.
    I have a Solidworks drawing that I drew to begin with, and then have been modifying as I've gone along. I find it funny how the project can be drawn first....and then when a person gets right down to building it, they find a simpler way, so then it's back to the PC and reworking the drawing to reflect the changes....

Very cool canadamaxxer, I'm in Saskatoon Saskatchewan and have been planning on building a CNC table for a year and a bit now. What do you plan on running in terms of motor and software?

I do all my modeling in SW as well, so I'll probably begin designing a table in the near future so I can begin to get an idea on material costs on top of the hardware/software costs.

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad_Turbo View Post
    Very cool canadamaxxer, I'm in Saskatoon Saskatchewan and have been planning on building a CNC table for a year and a bit now. What do you plan on running in terms of motor and software?

I do all my modeling in SW as well, so I'll probably begin designing a table in the near future so I can begin to get an idea on material costs on top of the hardware/software costs.
    I bought a complete servo (x/y),stepper (z) kit from Tom @ C and CNC (Torchhead on this forum)......very comprehensive and well thought out...

Canadamaxx,

I agree, nice plasma table, good design, simple but effective. I am working on a cnc router, but it needs to be more accurate than a plasma, hence a somewhat different approach.

I would like to inject into the group, if anyone is looking for a plasma cutter, check out www.parkermetalworking.com. He is located in the US Indianapolis I think, or around there. I have one of his 40 amp plasma cutters, it is rated for 5/8" plate but will cut shorts of 3/4". This is one sweet machine, and the price is under $700 US. This sort of compares to the Miller plasma, that sells for about $2500 US, and is rated for only 3/8" plate. My unit is smaller than my computer case and weighs in at 22 lbs. It will work on both 115V or 230V, and switches automatically between them if you change the plug. It is a handy machine for remote work, as it can run off an small generator or even up to 250 ft on an extension. I have it wired to 220V using a 14/3 gauge cord. It also needs shop compressed air at 70psi.

I did some testing with this little machine, and I have cut up to 1/4" plate, and it did a beautiful job. I cut some painted aluminum siding, about as fast as you would draw a line with a ruler and pencil, and the cut was so good and clean that the paint did not even get scorched.......

To cut the heavier materials, you will need some of the optional heavier duty contact points, so if you buy this machine get a bunch of spare stuff as I dont think you can buy anything locally that will fit it, but he will ship Fedex overnight if you get in a jam I would imagine.

Parker has other options for equipment as well, for example a combination DC tig, stick and plasma cutter for $2500 US, and this package is available in AC/DC as well, if you need to weld aluminum.

Pete,
    Calgary......
    [email protected]

Z-axis motor sizing

Quote Originally Posted by canadamaxxer View Post
    I have a Solidworks drawing that I drew to begin with, and then have been modifying as I've gone along. I find it funny how the project can be drawn first....and then when a person gets right down to building it, they find a simpler way, so then it's back to the PC and reworking the drawing to reflect the changes....
    That's the nature or making I think . . . I have a cad model (I just call it a working model & know that it will morph & transform until long after the table is operational) A buddy of mine & I are going to start making the parts & assembling next week, The thing I am concerned with is the zAxis motor & it's ability to move the z-carriage up & down, I'm driving a 3/4"-10 threaded rod with the motor & the carriage will have a the coupling attached to it. I think the carriage with the router may weigh about 12#. I am planning on using a motor from www.homeshopcnc.com, but just want to make sure there's enough torque in it. Was planning on using their like 740oz/in model but am not sure how to size it accurately. Anyone know anything about this? I've attached an image of the working cad model of the table so far.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 90037-008.jpg  

McArch, your z motor only needs to lift the torch and what ever it is attached to. I would recommend you revise your z drive to use a ball screw from Rick at homeshopcnc. It takes too much torque if you use a threaded rod......If you use a ball screw, you only need a small stepper motor. For example the Nook ball screws used by homeshop only require .035 in lb of torque to move (raise) 1 pound. So therefore a stepper motor that has 600 oz in of torque, which equates to 37.5 in lb of torque will lift (37.5/.035) 1071 lbs. The efficiency of a ball screw is about 90% and you get about a 28 : 1 increase in force using a ball screw. These numbers are from the Nook spec sheets if you want to check yourself.

Stay with a Nema 34 style motor as it is more adaptable to other sizes of motors.

I have attached a .pdf of the current design of my router table, but this is way overkill for a plasma set up. The one that Canadamaxxer is doing is a better approach for plasma.

Oops, cant send the .pdf it is too big.....email me if you want a copy
    [email protected]

Pete

Page 1 of 3 123