586,103 active members*
3,654 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Uncategorised MetalWorking Machines > Splash Guards for Bridgeport Type Mills

Cool Splash Guards for Bridgeport Type Mills

Today I received a private message from a fellow member of CNCzone, inquiring information as to the method I use to contain the flood coolant which splashes all over the place!

Well, I have made a simple pair of Lexan shields which are 24"x12"x1/8" Then I cut them on my bandsaw so they fit over my 6" Kurt vise, and slip into the outer t-slots on the mill's table.

The end plates have a dual purpose, as they are also used as table covers, and were contouted on the bandsaw so they fit snuggly next to the sides of the same vise when the vise is in the middle of the mill table.

These guards help me keep the sharp steel chips off the floor, as they can scratch the tile on my floors inside the house! Yes, I do remove my shoes prior to entering the house, but the chips can stick to my clothing and find their way inside the house.

I have used these shields with my 3" face mill, which throws hot chips everywhere, as well as with the spindle mounted coolant clamp which can deliver a large volume of flood coolant to the cutting tools!

These plates were easy to make, as a 24" scale inserted into the t-slot on an angle was the best way to acquire the measurements needed to fit the plates over the vise!

Also, the end plates are held in place with a magnetic base.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100_0221.JPG   100_0222.JPG   100_0223.JPG   100_0224.JPG  

www.widgitmaster.com
    It's not what you take away, it's what you are left with that counts!

Information Request

Hi,

I am the fellow member that asked for the information.

Thanks for sharing your ideas and accompanying photographs with me and other CNC Zone members.

Also, I really liked the job you did on the homemade quill clamp dual coolant line attachment for your mill. I know you ideas will be very helpful to me as I design one for my machine.

Thanks again for your continued help.

John

Very nice idea, looks good too.

Rick