Quote Originally Posted by davida1234 View Post
0.00004".......

Well, Outlawtaz, yours capabilities are definitely way beyond my capabilities.

As you said, well outside the precision of a homebuilt, let alone some semi-commercial machines.

I do like your different perspectives, though. Keeps me aligned, so to say.
Precision test equipment for a precision part. I always liked the challenge that was posed in helping the customer make something dead nuts so to speak. Not to mention that customer did all kinds of R&D and experimental stuff that was really cool to see. The above mentioned part was a friction stir welding stylus the had a rounded triangle (like the rotor in a Mazda rotary engine) at the business end. On the faces of the triangle were the vanes that resembled those tiny threads. He actually deburred these "threads" with an exacto knife and a magnifying glass.

Now that I don't do that work anymore, I have entered the world of home built machines. I kinda keep tabs on what other people are doing, collecting ideas and trying to see how precise a machine can be made without spending tons of money. Just a personal mental exercise I am in the middle of that hopefully will turn into something tangible in the near future