586,102 active members*
2,872 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Subroutines from MDI

There is a file, mysub.ngc, in the subroutines directory which I want to call from the MDI. If I enter O<mysub> call in the MDI I get an error message saying "EOF reached in (path to currently loaded program) seeking o-word <mysub> from line 0"

Is it possible to run a subroutine from the MDI? What is the syntax?

Re: Subroutines from MDI

One way is to define an M code in a .hal file to run whatever you need to run, and make sure that .hal file is loaded by your main tormach_mill.hal file.

Calling a subroutine from the MDI suits my needs better. If that is impossible I'll try your approach. However, I suspect that I've made some stupid mistake for which I'll hang my head in shame.

Quote Originally Posted by kstrauss View Post
    Is it possible to run a subroutine from the MDI? What is the syntax?
    I haven't found a way, but I find it easy enough to write a minimal g-code file that just calls the subroutine. If you also want to pass arguments it's usually easier to add them to a text file than typing them into the mdi.
    Step

Solved!
    My problem was that I saved the subroutine as gcode/subroutines/mySub.ngc. Changing the filename to mysub.ngc (all lowercase) allows it to work perfectly. Just enter: "O<MYSUB> CALL" from the MDI. I suppose that it is intuitive that a filename referenced as all uppercase must be stored on disk as all lowercase. NOT! Apologies for the interruption.

While on the topic of subroutines, is it possible to determine the number of parameters passed to a subroutine? The online examples that I have found check for the parameter having a value of zero to indicate that it was not passed. For my application zero is a valid value for an optional parameter.

You can do this when REBIND-ing M-codes in the hal + python files, but I don't know how to do it for O-codes.
    If you can make it so that 0 is the default value (does the same thing whether passed or not) then it doesn't matter :-)

You can also just load the subroutine as you would any other file, and run. it

Yes but how do you pass parameters to it? Anyway, all is now good running it as a subroutine from the MDI.