586,115 active members*
3,340 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Mini Lathe > How to stiffen up the saddle on a mini lathe?

Question How to stiffen up the saddle on a mini lathe?

I've had a 7x10 mini lathe for a couple of years now, and am looking for ways to stiffen up the carriage mechanism.

I can mostly compensate for the lack of stiffness when I am working, but I find it nearly impossible to cut inside threads with the amount of flex I have..

Any Ideas?

do you have the whole thing bolted down? That helps some with over rigidity, but probably not so much with the saddle.

RE: Bolted down

I have it bolted to some very stiff urithane vibration mounts bolted to a sturdy work bench, so I this could be a source of bed flex. I have a chunk of 1" 7000 series aluminum that I could use as a mounting plate, so I guess I will give that a try.

I am thinking I might have the gibbs out of adjustment, or the bolts for the protractor mount might nt be as tight as I was thinking they were ( found the protractor bolt Idea in another CNCzone post)

The slide travel is fairly tight, but I think I should probably take the whole thing apart and have a good look at it. Same goes for the protractor. I find my self adjusting that fairly often, and it is tedious to get the screws tight again.

Any one have a mod out there for the protractor mount?