586,103 active members*
3,612 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > Sizing of CNC Machines For plywood cutting

Sizing of CNC Machines For plywood cutting

Most of the machines I have seen have sufficient depth and not enough length.

A 4'x8' foot machine would be too big for my shop.

My question is; Is it possible to route one section of a panel and move the work down and finish the next section?

Thanks to all who reply.

Daniel

Why not? Try to make a movable stop that would allow you to move your part something like exactly 30". Machine the one side, slide the part the 30", reset your axis datum zero 30" and continue on.

Thansk

That is what I was thinking. For none production work of one off designs. Setting the cut to end and start again at a fixed point seems resonable. Rather then have a large system bigger taking up tons of space.

Thanks for your reply.

Daniel

I am struggling with this problem as well, but perhaps even more so for my small garage area. At most, 2 x 4 ft available, x 7 ft high total.

The crazy idea I am playing with is to build the long axis vertically, so essentially setting the whole thing on end.

For milling a full sheet, I am wondering about feeding the sheet in from one side, locating 2 holes with a pin of some kind, and maybe screwing down the sheet to the back wall / table as needed.

Still toying with how to pull this off, but maybe using a cabinet like design made from 2 in wall honeycomb panels and an Al channel frame.

I've seen some designs on this site for just such a set up. I think you need to look at how the axis are moved and the bearing loads.

As for work holding, double sides tape, vacum table etc all work.

Quote Originally Posted by dswink View Post

My question is; Is it possible to route one section of a panel and move the work down and finish the next section?
    It is possible, I have done with table saws, drill presses, etc. but the largest problem is the realignment and recalibration of your part to the machine. In my experience even the most well thought out process introduces errors, mostly small, some large. I think you would be better off machining two separate parts then joining them back together. But in a pinch, you what it take to get the desired result...