586,096 active members*
3,635 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

rated current per phase

ima little unsure about the amps to run this motor.its says the rated current/phase (amps dc) is 6.3. it says the number of phases is 4,and the holding torque with 2 phases on is 4.5 n.m. do the amps have to be multiplied by 4 or by 2 or is 6.3 the rating i need to set my drive to.any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks

The current is 6.3A, but this may be in series or parallel or even in unipolar if it is a 6 or 8 wire motor.
    Quote Originally Posted by CATCH22 View Post
    ima little unsure about the amps to run this motor.its says the rated current/phase (amps dc) is 6.3. it says the number of phases is 4,and the holding torque with 2 phases on is 4.5 n.m. do the amps have to be multiplied by 4 or by 2 or is 6.3 the rating i need to set my drive to.any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks
    Motion Control Products Ltd
    www.motioncontrolproducts.co.uk

Assuming this is an 8 wire motor and if the motor nameplates says 6.3A then that is the rating you would use for unipolar, or bipolar "half coil".
    Bipolar series would be 4.45A and normally bipolar parallel would be 8.9A. Bipolar parallel could be higher depending on mfg.
    Phil, Still too many interests, too many projects, and not enough time!!!!!!!!
    Vist my websites - http://pminmo.com & http://millpcbs.com

here are the motor specs.

if you go to this link on ebay it shows the motors and you can click on the link with the specs.sorry i tried everything to copy the pdf file and i couldnt do it,i also couldnt figure out how to copy and paste the link so all you have to do is click on it.so here it is hope someone dont mind looking at these for me.thanks again guys.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...2911&rd=1&rd=1

They are 6.3A in parallel or 3.2A in series, just set the driver to these currents dependant on how you connect the motor.
    The motor has 4 phases, and thes can either be connected in series are parallel to make 2 phases, parallel needs twice the current than series, and will also give you far better performance at the higher speeds due to the lower inductance.
    Forget the unipolar current unless you have a unipolar driver.

I hope that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by CATCH22 View Post
    if you go to this link on ebay it shows the motors and you can click on the link with the specs.sorry i tried everything to copy the pdf file and i couldnt do it,i also couldnt figure out how to copy and paste the link so all you have to do is click on it.so here it is hope someone dont mind looking at these for me.thanks again guys.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...2911&rd=1&rd=1
    Motion Control Products Ltd
    www.motioncontrolproducts.co.uk

excellent,thanks so much guys.