586,108 active members*
3,014 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

CAD software needed

I am a total CNC newbee, know nothing about it other than what my buddy has shown me programming g-code on the dynapath 20 on my tree 310. I am hoping someone has upgraded their autocad, or not using a copy, so I can try it before I take out another mortgage to run my cnc mill. I am hoping to find one that has a decent tutorial, there is no one here that can teach me, I have to learn it on my own. I am hoping to make life simpler for the guys in my shop as well. (Hobby stuff for now, hope to make money later)

Maybe Jesse James will lend me a copy?

Try this

Dolphin CAD/CAM has a complete designing system built right into the CAM. Take a look at it free. It's powerful drafting.

www.dolphincadcamusa.com
    Rodney Hill

Nice!
    Thanks so much.
    Do I have to use an older computer to connect to the Dynapath using rs232, or can I use a newer faster one and a USB interface?
    Does the computer actually run the mill, or does it just convert the cad to g-code and then the Dynapath runs the mill?
    Last question- When you are running the autocad, does it show the progress on the computer screen, or is it all done on the dynapath? Sorry, newbee to the max here.

Either or should work. RS232 or USB. Well in a sense the computer actually runs the mill. Once you transfer the code over and all info is correct, you would just post process to the correct controller your using. Last thing, you said when running AutoCAD, not sure if your confused or not cause this is not AutoCAD, its Dolphin CAD/CAM. Its a completely different drafting tool. But yes it will should you full simulation and animation. Let me know if I can be any more of a help.
    Rodney Hill

Yo,
    Unless the program is really long and complex and larger than the memory than the machine, the computer is just for designing, making the code, and sending it to the machine. I would really suggest that you learn more than just the basics of G-code and how your machine interprets it. You should be able to write most programs by hand anyway, I only find that I need CAM when things are really complex.

It is a common myth that the CAM system will "write the program for you" and all you have to do it draw a pretty picture and hit the GO button. Nothing could be further than the truth. With a CAM program, you are able to select certain geometric features, such as the outside proflile of the part, and have it come up with a majority of the toolpath code. You still have to know and decide what tools you are going to use for each operation, etc.

I would start slow by doing some simple drilling jobs on your new mill, and learn a new canned cycle or mode of operation as you need it. I still have to consult my operators manual to makr sure I have all the variables correct when I use some of the cycles..

Good luck!
    Carl C

Who likes to manually program? I can't think of many that would prefer manual programming, then again, it's all what suits the user best.
    Rodney Hill

programming

Thanks for the input guys!

When I said autocad, I wrongfully used the word as a generic term for cad/cam programming.

I did think that I could design the entire part on the computer, then hit go and it would do that for me. Not so I guess.

lol the day a system becomes availalbe where you design your part and then press go, i'd like to be informed. I dont think theres anything out there even in the 30K-40K range. Am I mistaken?
    Rodney Hill

so when you watch the guys on OCC with the big huge HAAS system, they use the computer to draw the rough pattern, then program the rest manually?

"so when you watch the guys on OCC with the big huge HAAS system, they use the computer to draw the rough pattern, then program the rest manually?"

No, they design and program in CAD/CAM undoubtably, BUT the person doing the coding and operating knows G-code. I guess what I am saying is, the first step is to get proficient with G-code, and your machines version of G-code. Then you can look into CAM. At your level, starting out coding with CAM and not knowing what to look for in editing the code that comes out will lead to CERTAIN disaster!

Many companies like to say that their CAM system does not require you to know G-code, and that you can be making parts in hours or days. I think this is really overstating things. You will most likely have to edit, or tweak the code that comes out untill it suits your particular machine.

Each CNC control builder uses a little bit different version of G-code, all varitions of a theme. It's like saying you speak Chinese, which of 200 dialects? Your best start is to read the factory manual for your particular control and really familiarize yourself with what all the codes and words mean for your particular control.

Carl C

programming

Thanks Carl.

I know I have to learn more about G, for sure. I was just hoping that I could speed things up for our guy in the shop that has been doing all the programming to date. He is learning and getting proficient with G, but a small program for a single piece takes days, even into weeks.
    Lack of time forces me to take the lazy route, I am never in my own shop due to the fact that I am also doing sales, I thought that since I am the one doing sales for the machine shop, I could do up the CAD in the hotel evenings, then email the program back to him on another computer, where he could 'hit go'.

Again, the term newbee in the dictionary has a big arrow pointing to me. :withstupi