586,745 active members*
6,617 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Shopmaster/Shoptask > Threading on a Patriot Shopmaster

Hybrid View

Re: Threading on a Patriot Shopmaster

For what it is worth, I use spindle feedback on mine and it works fine. I've read it can gibble up coarser threads, but I haven't run into that yet.

If it is shifting slightly every time, it kind of sounds like you might be losing steps on the rapid return to the start? Make sure your max velocities are not too high, gibs are adjusted right, clean index signal, etc.

Also, reading through the Mach threading guide is very helpful, since you can pick up tips that make small improvement that make big differences.

Quote Originally Posted by Timbob View Post
    For what it is worth, I use spindle feedback on mine and it works fine. I've read it can gibble up coarser threads, but I haven't run into that yet.

If it is shifting slightly every time, it kind of sounds like you might be losing steps on the rapid return to the start? Make sure your max velocities are not too high, gibs are adjusted right, clean index signal, etc.

Also, reading through the Mach threading guide is very helpful, since you can pick up tips that make small improvement that make big differences.
    Do you use a canned threading cycle or do you have multiple lines of code? I tried to use it and every time it goes to start the threading cycle it sits there waiting once it gets to the canned cycle line of code, almost as if it is waiting for an input from the machine. I was told by the person on the phone when I called for support (the owner?) that if I am getting an STrue reading then the machine is sending the signal for the feedback (or at least I think that is what he told me).

Could you possible post your mach3 settings for me so I could cross reference the settings of someone with a working machine? I am curious if you have anything enabled in encoder/mpg tab as well, I believe there may need to be something enabled there but I am not sure.

Yes. I'll get my settings for you so you can compare, but it might be later.

I used the canned cycle now. When I first started threading, I used the "expanded" code to see specifically what each increment was. That got old real fast!!

Interesting tidbit that I discovered: if you set the cut per pass too small, and the number of passes, start to completion, exceeds 200, on pass #200, Mach just cuts whatever is left over. It is actually possible to do this since the per pass cut can be calculated as volume based on the first pass. The things you learn when you do stupid things!!

Yes. I'll get my settings for you so you can compare, but it might be later.

I used the canned cycle now. When I first started threading, I used the "expanded" code to see specifically what each increment was. That got old real fast!!

Interesting tidbit that I discovered: if you set the cut per pass too small, and the number of passes, start to completion, exceeds 200, on pass #200, Mach just cuts whatever is left over. It is actually possible to do this since the per pass cut can be calculated as volume based on the first pass. The things you learn when you do stupid things!!
    Awesome, that would be a huge help. If you can just use Alt + Print Screen and post those screenshots. I have a feeling maybe I don't have some type of input enabled and that's why my program stops when it gets to the canned cycle. It's waiting for some type of index signal on the spindle.