Hello everyone! Long time lurker, first time poster. Experienced in the robotics industry on the design side, but not very experienced on physically doing the machining myself. I desire to learn how to properly machine to build the skill set, and also better understand the parts I design and what the machinists have to do to make them to hopefully make my designs better. Looking forward to sharing knowledge with everybody and learning!

I'm hoping someone can help me with a couple quick Tormach 15L Slant Pro questions. I'm thinking of purchasing one to do some short run production work I have access to, but the tolerances of this work are quite a bit tighter than what I'm used to working with in my normal job. We're talking outer diameter tolerance on headless pins of +/- 0.0002in that have diameter 0.5" and less, and length of 0.5" and less. The other tolerances on the chamfers, grooves, and length are not an issue. And there is no callout for concentricity of the main axis and the outer diameter (though, I obviously want this to be "close"). Some pins will be aluminum, and others stainless steel.

So two questions:
1) Is it possible for this machine (not necessarily me) to at least somewhat reliably perform at this tight outer diameter tolerance of +/- 0.0002"? Scrapping parts is okay as long as it isn't too crazy (e.g. it is okay to make double the needed parts every time to then scrap the half out of tolerance if I *have* to). I plan to do the full automation package (automatic collet closer, bar puller, turret, gang tooling half plate, etc.), so that will be my setup. Probably use kennametal tools (haven't picked out the exact ones yet) and Hardinge Special Accuracy collets, though. Any different recommendations beyond this?

2) How feasible is it for someone inexperienced with machining like me to learn how to machine small pins like these at this tolerance, working at it 8 hours every day for a week or two? I can do CAM programming (but the conversational programming looks really cool) and so understand the steps involved, and I have used many manual machines for years for light duty work with much looser tolerances (+/- 0.010), but never a lathe. Just curious on opinions here

Thanks all!
-Nathan