586,058 active members*
3,339 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

New motherboard/processor

I just order a new motherboard/processor to repair my old one, and I would like to know how the collective thinks it will work for Rhino/Mach3 operations.

Motherboard: Ecs Geforce6100SM-M MB
    Processor: Athlon64 X2 5000+ Socket AM2
    RAM: PC 5300 667MHZ RAM (two 1GB sticks)

I will still be running an old AGP Nvidia Geforce 4000 video card.

In order to do this, I finally bought a DB25 breakout board WITH the pull up resistors installed.

Opinions, anyone?

Plenty of power there

I guess you want the power for "Rhino" (Processor), I'm thinking Mach3 will fly with 1/2 that!

How much did the Processor cost?

What OS are you running?

I setup a PC this last weekend for a family member, it was running Vista, made me think of "Windows ME" (dressed up Win98), only Vista keeps asking for permission for every little thing. I only worked on it long enough to set the thing up. I guess you have an option to disable the nagging popups (Not that I need a remedy)?

I'll be sticking with XP for a long while!

Most certainly it will not have a parallel port for conventional hookup. Don't forget to buy a card (if you need one!!!).
    Good luck with the new system. Keep us posted. Bout time to retire my old junker and bring in the new!
    Bill
    billyjack
    Helicopter def. = Bunch of spare parts flying in close formation! USAF 1974 ;>)

The motherboard/processor/ram combo costs under $400 through www.pricewatch.com .

I do not run mach through that cpu, I decided to put together 2 systems.

My old system, athlon xp2600, asus a7x motherboard with 1gb of ram is running mach just fine. I do not need to use the new breakout board (w/ pullup resistors) because it is a late model motherboard that still drives 5v TTL.

People have been telling me that unless I run multiple applications at the shme time, I will not be using the "Duel Core" at all. That kind of bums me out, because I thought I was paying to use twice the cpu power. I only have 2.6ghz with this setup. Oh well, live and learn, right?

For now, it does just fine with Rhino and Rhinocam. I wish I could say that I saw a marked improvement between the old 2.2ghz w 1gb ram and the new 2.6ghz with 2gb of ram, but I do not yet see it.

It actually boots slower since I had to reinstall windows to get the hard drives to work again. Typical when upgrading motherboards. I think I need to tune and tweak windows again.

Quote Originally Posted by spoiledbrat View Post
    The motherboard/processor/ram combo costs under $400 through www.pricewatch.com .

I do not run mach through that cpu, I decided to put together 2 systems.

My old system, athlon xp2600, asus a7x motherboard with 1gb of ram is running mach just fine. I do not need to use the new breakout board (w/ pullup resistors) because it is a late model motherboard that still drives 5v TTL.

People have been telling me that unless I run multiple applications at the shme time, I will not be using the "Duel Core" at all. That kind of bums me out, because I thought I was paying to use twice the cpu power. I only have 2.6ghz with this setup. Oh well, live and learn, right?

For now, it does just fine with Rhino and Rhinocam. I wish I could say that I saw a marked improvement between the old 2.2ghz w 1gb ram and the new 2.6ghz with 2gb of ram, but I do not yet see it.

It actually boots slower since I had to reinstall windows to get the hard drives to work again. Typical when upgrading motherboards. I think I need to tune and tweak windows again.
    Thats not true, you could have a single program running multiple threads, & XP supports that.

I'm sure most graphic programs (Rhino) have more than one process (thread) running at the same time while the program generates the image/images you see on the screen.

Better to have, than not have the dual processors.

Besides you might not realize it, but I bet your running more than 1 app. right now, espically If you have DSL.