586,117 active members*
3,606 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

New VF-1 Delivered Today

After a long wait we took delivery of our new VF-1 today.

Hopefully we'll get it under power, setup by the Haas tech, and start making some chips real soon

Attached is a picture of the mill in it's working position, and a second of it being unwrapped (they sure do package these well... shrink wrapped, some sort of mylar foil, and then two or three tarps).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Copy of IMG_0025.jpg   IMG_0011.jpg  

That is a beautiful machine Cory, yes they do wrap them well, my humble little TM-1 came wrapped the same way and not a moment was spared in getting all that off of it to take a look. Even the tarp said "Made in USA"

Ken

New machine day:banana: :banana: :banana: :cheers:
    No better day...maybe new bike day..but thats it!
    Doors run smooth, that new machine smell for at least a week... wiping all of the covers clean.. pulling that protective wrap off the door windows for the first look inside...making up the first coolant mix for that perfectly clean coolant tank...pulling off all of the safety stickers...making that first hair clip to override the door switch...
    I like the operator panels on the new machines, and the front tool racks. Love the 10,000 rpm and 1000 rapids.
    Didn't know you could still get the umbrella tool changer..the one thing I liked about those were when you looked at it you could tell the tool number with out paging through the dang screen...:banana:

Quote Originally Posted by Cory View Post
    ..... (they sure do package these well... shrink wrapped, some sort of mylar foil, and then two or three tarps).
    I am 35 minutes drive over the US border so they used to wrap them for export. Everything you describe then a wooden crate around everything. With 3" nails every inch or so! Somebody must have liked using the pneumatic nailer. Yes they do package them well.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

Ya baby!!!! Sweet looking machine, have fun and make lots of the green stuff.

As a side note, anyone have any tricks on how to clean off cosmoline?

It's covering everything--the way covers, the table, the coolant tray around the table.

We tried some citrus degreaser and a rag...didn't do a darn thing. Moved on to using a stiff brush and degreaser, and it's working, but very very slowly.

Quote Originally Posted by Cory View Post
    As a side note, anyone have any tricks on how to clean off cosmoline?

It's covering everything--the way covers, the table, the coolant tray around the table.

We tried some citrus degreaser and a rag...didn't do a darn thing. Moved on to using a stiff brush and degreaser, and it's working, but very very slowly.
    Varsol.

And it is best to swab it on and leave it for a minute or so to soften things up then wipe it off.

Have a fan set up if possible to blow air through the two side doors. Varsol is not too bad but breathing a lot in a closed space can generate a headache.

Beautiful machine.
    On a side-side note. How the hell do they put cosmoline on? Spray? Brush? Bucket??

Quote Originally Posted by DEAN View Post
    Beautiful machine.
    On a side-side note. How the hell do they put cosmoline on? Spray? Brush? Bucket??
    They have a big tank, 10 feet by 10 feet by 10 feet full of Cosmoline and the dip the d**n thing in. Or at least that is what it seems like sometimes.

Seriously...I think it is sprayed on you can see the overspray on the sheet metal.

Paint thinner or a similar solvent takes it right off without problems, provided the EPA doesn't have problems with it's use in your area. As for the packing, like everyone else said, they are packed well. Both our Mini Mill and SL-10/Servo 300 came that way too.

Have fun with the new machine! I want one now!!!

Once we found some grease/wax remover hiding in a bin in our shop it was pretty easy to get off. Took awhile since there's so darn much of the stuff, but it came off with relatively little effort.

WD-40 works great on the cosmoline. leave it set for a minute to soften it.

Ya know, if they really wanted to impress people with the packaging, they would include a bottle of the best stuff on the planet to take the cosmoline off.

-Jeff
    www.JeffAlbro.net/cnc/

best stuff on the planet
    Ok I will bite...what is the "best stuff on the planet"..or is that the name of a product?
    I have found plain old solvent works great, and drys with out a greasy film. I absolutely hate the smell of wd40, haven't had a can in my shop for many years. I cant imagine how many cans it would have taken to clean my last VF4(chair)

Quote Originally Posted by Kool Parts View Post
    Okwhat is the "best stuff on the planet"..or is that the name of a product?
    That's the thing, I don't know. But I figure if Haas uses BARRELS of the stuff they should know, and make it easier for their customers.

I know, wishful thinking.

-Jeff
    www.JeffAlbro.net/cnc/

be sure to get all the cosmoline out of you coolant tank!!! they made that mistake at a shop i work at. if you leave it in there it will break down with the coolant and turn into some of the grossest sludge you will ever deal with. and it plugs up the coolant line real fast.
    mike
    [email protected]
    www.hessemachine.com

Quote Originally Posted by mikeh78 View Post
    be sure to get all the cosmoline out of you coolant tank!!! they made that mistake at a shop i work at. if you leave it in there it will break down with the coolant and turn into some of the grossest sludge you will ever deal with. and it plugs up the coolant line real fast.
    mike
    Thanks for the tip.

It looks like ours came without cosmoline in it though... go figure. they slathered it on every other surface.

Benzoil is what takes it off.

Hi,

Use Mineral Spirits to clean it. All you do is brush it on, then wipe it off with those blue paper towels. It only takes a few seconds to break down the cosmoline. So, if you pick a way cover… brush the entire cover with it… then wipe. I did my machine in about 30 minutes. The nice thing is, Mineral spirits are slightly oily, so you shouldn’t have a rusty machine if it sits for a few days before you get Haas to come out to do the setup. And, it won’t hurt the rubber seals. (unlike paint thinner)

Mineral spirits works well to get the oil and grease off of new tool holders too. Besides, it’s cheap and you can get it at the local hardware store. (look for the low odor stuff)

Good luck

(look for the low odor stuff)
    I would have bet that Mineral Spirits would work good...but I didn't know they made low odor. Thats another one I don't use because of the smell in the shop.

Ok enough of the cleaning...lets see the first part off the machine:banana:

Page 1 of 2 12