586,069 active members*
3,484 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Phase Converters > Converting a Roto-Phase for use with a CNC....

Converting a Roto-Phase for use with a CNC....

So, I am looking at purchasing a couple CNC's for my shop. One is a SuperMax Max-1 Rebel VMC, 7.5 HP spindle, and the other is a SuperMax TC-2 lathe, with a 10HP spindle. I live out in the sticks, so 3ph power is about 4 miles away.
    I currently have a Johnford SV-40, 15hp spindle. I am running that off of a Phase-A-Matic that I got from MSC (IIRC). I've had zero problems with it.

Someone locally is selling two 15hp Roto-Phase (that's the brand) converters.($900 each) They do not have any voltage regulating stuff on them. I called up Arco (the mfg.) and they said they were good for around 7% variation. I asked if it was possible to install a voltage regulator along the line, and power a CNC. They said absolutely not!

Now, I'm not an electrician by any means. I took me a LONG time to wire up 3 geckos to power my CNC router I built 5 years ago. Not much has changed for me since then.
    However.....

Common sense tellls me that they are just trying to get me to buy a new unit...

What say you?

My Phase-A-Matic has a seperate voltage regulator. This can be purchased seperately from the actual converter. Any reason why I can't use that on the Arco? A local distributor can get the regulators for aroung $800 for the 15hp model.....

Really need to know what technology the regulator is, Active (electronic), Passive etc. And where in the line it is installed.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Well, like I said, I'm no electrician. Hope these pictures explain everything....

Looks as though it is a simple choke or inductance connected from the artificial phase to one of the main feeds, I cannot see it being a problem as to what kind of convertor you use.
    With a RPC, they are usually optimally tuned for best power factor (efficiency), this may be being used for this purpose.
    There are alot of RPC's running CNC equipment.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Now, that is my current setup.
    What I want to do is get 2 more that don't come with voltage regulators, get identical regulators like the one I already have, and presto, CNC rated RPC's...