586,103 active members*
3,703 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Training

Question Training

Hi, I'm new to this forum just looked thru all the posts. My ? is what is the best method for learning mcam on my own, i have purched several books, but as far as i concerned there not worth %$#@. They go thru the book pick this , pick that with no explanation why. and donot explain any of the option windows. Todd

I learned most of my programming from a mastercam book. I have Mastercam, the book is written by Dr. S.C Jonathon Lin, Dr F.C. tony shiue. It takes you step by step through lessens. All the little switches you can ask on this forum or programmers at work. That's how I learned. I am a programmer at work now. I will help anytime you need it and everybody in this forum will help also. Welcome to the forum.
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Originally posted by JIMMY
    I learned most of my programming from a mastercam book.
    Oh so now i'm a book?

Jimmy is correct the books will show you what you need to know
    the rest comes from help or just a little imagination.

PEACE

Any background in CAD/CAM will help. If you don't have that, it may seem a bit intimidating at first. Don't let it stop you.

The "?" at the top of the options boxes and the F1 key are your friends. The online help is good and it explains what most of the functions do.

If there's some things you want to know about in particular like job setup, toolpaths (why use wear insted of computer?) etc., ask us, we'll prolly be able to explain the hows/whys/whens of it.

'Rekd
    Matt
    San Diego, Ca

___ o o o_
    [l_,[_____],
    l---L - □lllllll□-
    ( )_) ( )_)--)_)

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

BTW, I learned most of my programming via "Click. Run post. Check outcome. Repeat as needed."

Your dealer can likely offer a class that would be an ideal way to start. (You could ask specific questions and see how it's done.)

'Rekd
    Matt
    San Diego, Ca

___ o o o_
    [l_,[_____],
    l---L - □lllllll□-
    ( )_) ( )_)--)_)

Originally posted by Rekd
    BTW, I learned most of my programming via "Click. Run post. Check outcome. Repeat as needed."

Your dealer can likely offer a class that would be an ideal way to start. (You could ask specific questions and see how it's done.)

'Rekd
    "DEALER, WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN DEALER" , my appologies to Mel Brooks

I agree with the other guys on the forum, go through the books. Yeah it may seem a little stupid and you might not be able to see why they are doing some things but you will learn how the program is setup and how most things work. Once you've gone through the books draw something up in mastercam and put some toolpaths to it. You may not know what to do at first but then you'll get an idea of the toolpaths and the lessons in the book are always there for reference. Verify is a great feature for seeing what the tool is going to do on the work, use it often and see what your changes do on it before you break bits on real material. It doesn't catch all things though just to warn you. I had an 1/8" endmill blow up on me on a rapid. I've been using the program for about 4 months at school and I've got it down pretty good. Give it time and the rest will follow.

Carl

the books by Dr. S.C Jonathon Lin, Dr F.C. tony shiue are a really good start. i instruct Mastercam
    for a dealer in horsham and i use these books as a reference guide sometimes. A new user would get a lot from these books as the books use a step by step to accomplish task.

BTW, there is nothing (and i mean nothing ) quite like seat time to get the experience needed to run mastercam. like anything else sweat equity will take you along way. good luck with it.