Hey Guys,
I realize this thread has been on vacation for a month, but I have a couple of related questions.
I've been running desktop CNC's for 5 years or so and have always tried to keep my wiring neat and isolated, but I'm getting ready to upgrade my machine from a Gecko G540 and open loop steppers to LeadShine controllers and closed loop steppers, so I need to design and build a new control cabinet. I'd like to use DIN rails and components.
My question(s) are:
Where is a good reference for general (or more specific) design standards? I appreciate Al_the_Man's link to the NFPA79 document and will search that out. Without going back to school and getting an electronic engineer's degree, are there others?
Where can I find direction on which components to use for specific functions? I know that's kind of vague, but for instance, it looks to me like a Contactor and a Relay both perform the same general function - turning an electrical component on or off - but when do you use one over the other? Or do I have that functionality wrong?
I also have questions about when and where to use circuit breakers - only on 120V supply circuits or others in addition?
Thanks in advance for any guidance,
Gary