586,321 active members*
3,858 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Gas Springs on X3 - your ideas...

Gas Springs on X3 - your ideas...

So the enevitable has happened: My 465oz/in motor is not able to lift the head of my milling machine.

I was thinking that a gas spring is the answer to my problem.

First things first, How much does the head weigh? If memory serves me, I recall that its at 80 pounds.

I would like to know what you think about having two 40lb gas springs rather than one 80lb. They would be mounted on each side of the head rather than just one side. This would create equal and non-binding forces.

ALSO: doesn't it make sense to have only 40lb gas spring force to lift the head? This would make the motor push 40lb each direction.

I am thinking having 80lb of gas spring force pushing up would create the same problem I am having now, but in the opposite direction. Although, the 80lb is what a lot of other users have ended up using, and apparently it works. What say you?

Thank You for your help.

I am looking at McMaster-Carr for Gas Springs

I see that the X3 has 14-7/8" of head travel.

This means that the minimum Extended length of the gas spring needed is 14-7/8"

I don't have access to my machine right now, so whe I get home I'll measure what the maximum compression length is and also, what Stroke is needed.

Is there a particular spring from McMaster or another site you have used that meets the specs required? I know about the one cncfusion sells, but I know I can get a better price elsewhere.

Extended Length: ?"
    Compression Length: ?"
    Stroke Length: ?"

Why not use a counterweight system? Check this thread http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32622 about halfway down for a picture. I used some pulleys, steel cable and some old brake discs and scrap for the weight. It works great.

i had considered the counterweights system, but gas springs are more professional looking, and take up less space.

thanks though