586,058 active members*
4,457 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Okuma > u10m B method program size

u10m B method program size

OK fella's. I'm back at the u10m again thinking about the program sizes. I know there is roughly 64KB of storage space on MD1:. I know I can load a program into the control with A method that is 61KB. From what I picked up here on the message boards B method is for larger programs. How big of a program can I load into the control with B method? The manual gives a chart that makes little sense to me.

I wonder if there is a place somewhere on the interwebs that has a FAQ or similar to all of these common questions...Maybe I should make one someday...

Thanks again,
    Dave in Ohio

Re: u10m B method program size

hi cg, pls share that chart; it may be something like attached ... also, you may run some trials, in order to find the maximum size

for example, fill a text file with :

Code:
        G01 Z+10 F0.123 G95 G91
            Z-10
            Z+10
            Z-10
            Z+10
            Z-10
    and add / remove, until program is accepted; after that, remove a bit more, so to have buffer to edit the program, in case you use the 'edit' button / kindly
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Untitled.png  
    Ladyhawke - My Delirium, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_bFO1SNRZg

You can use parameters to set the default method
    or
    add ;A / ;B or ;S
    after the program name when selecting an active program

B method disables background editing of the active program... you must select another prog so the 1st can be edited
    S method must not involve any subs or branching

... later controls have the choice on the program select page (I think).

This is what I got...

The question remains, How do I know the size of the operation buffer?

Thanks again,
    Dave in Ohio

Quote Originally Posted by countryguy828 View Post
    The question remains, How do I know the size of the operation buffer?
    Okuma gave specs for memory & buffer in tape length...
    ... bloody useless when you want to know these limits in bytes or # of characters

I found that if you had the file open in an editor .... some editors could report the size (in characters) and the number of lines in the open file.( CR/LF is 2 bits, this is why you add # lines to # characters to get approx file size for the control)

As kitty says... you need to create a file and increase it's size until it fails to be selected for each A,B & S method.
    record each and keep near the PC and compare before uploading to the control

Spaces, leading/trailing zeros (ie T01=T1 X0.1000=X.1 F0.0200=F.02 G02=G2 etc) can omited to make a program smaller
    ... so too can the use of subroutines ( this is a big space saver)
    ... and also the removal of sequence numbers ( you could keep some near the toolchange lines for easier restarts )

Thanks for the tip.

I suppose it would be safe to say the Operation buffer must be at least 61K as I have already run a program that size in Method A.

Making an assumption that Method B combines MD1 and the Operation buffer I could get 122K.

At this point I'm only guessing ... This is just what I can work out in my minds eye of how Method B is "Large Capacity Mode". If I am wrong correct me.

Okuma doesn't want to give up their secrets easily. They only seem to give you just enough to do a job and nothing more. Very frustrating for me at least. The equipment is outdated and they care little about supporting it yet they want to keep the info a secret. That's my opinion anyways.

Thank you guys for your continued support.
    Dave in Ohio

hi cg, there are these :
    ... system device storage space ( for example, if it is 4 mb, you can put there 4 programs of 1mb, or 2 programs 1+3 mb eg )
    ... program maximum size ( bigest program that can be selected by the controller ), and this is like this :
    ...... method a : default size
    ...... method b : increased size ( generally, this size is equal to the size of the system device storage space )
    ...... method s : same as method b, but with restrictions on code linearity, in order for the cnc to performe faster during execution, reading the program smoothly
    ... operation buffer : generally, this is the same regardless of method; on newer controllers, there are special functions that work with an increased operation buffer, like hi-cut, nurbs, etc

for method b & s to work, this requires that the bubble memory is >= than the system device storage space : for example, on newer controllers, the hdd has 100+gb, but inside md1 is not possible to put a program > 2gb; flash memory is 4gb, but only 2gb from it are allowed for the selected programs

if you wish to find out the maximum size, run some trials as shown in post2 / kindly
    Ladyhawke - My Delirium, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_bFO1SNRZg