586,061 active members*
4,702 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAD Software > Solidworks > Round parts with holes on OD

Round parts with holes on OD

I have a round part that has a hole in the middle and a hole offset from center. I want to make a hole from the side. I can't figure a way to get a surface to use the hole wizard on.

Here is how it is in Autocad and what I have so far in SW.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails HC 80_0026.JPG   lower rod end_1.jpg   lower rod end_2.jpg  

Create a plane from the surface and select that plane to use the Hole Wizard.

Thats what I have been working on but the hole wizard comes up with an error that the hole does not intersect the part.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails lower rod end_3.jpg  

I can't tell what plane you are trying to use, but a trick for using planes and the Hole Wizard on curved surfaces to to resize the plane so it does not extend beyond the surface (ideally, should be small as possible), and make sure you define the hole feature to go up to the surface or beyond/through.

If the plane size extends beyond the surface and you select the plane, that point where you selected the plane is the point where the Hole Wizard will place the hole. If it is nowhere near the surface the hole will not intersect it, sometimes regardless how deep the hole is defined. You at least want to create the hole then edit afterwards.

You can also just select the surface, but it will create the point on a 3D sketch.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails hole_surface.jpg  

A picture is worth a 1000 words. I'll give it a try when I get back to work tomorrow. My problem could be the size of the plane. I am trying to put it on Plane 7. I have been having trouble creating planes where I need them. I will review planes a litlle more before I get started.

Thanks for the help

You don't need any planes. Hole wizard works fine directly on a 3D surface
    www.integratedmechanical.ca

These radial holes were done using hole wizard and no planes were created in the making.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails barrel.jpg  

Read my last sentence.

Sorry Cadman your post must have gone up between the time I hit new post on the front page and read this thread - sometimes it takes me hours.

I looked at my last post and didn't realize it at the time, but it is kind of harsh. Sorry, I didn't mean for it to come across that way:cheers:

Ok I was able to get the hole on the OD but im not sure its correct. I just went to the front view and put the hole on the OD. The problem I had is I could not smart dim the hole to anything to get a up and down dim.

Thanks for all the help.

When you put the hole on the OD of the part it's done as a 3D sketch, which is alot more difficult to constrain than a 2D sketch. If you were to use a driven plane [one that is held on the o.d. of the part via another sketch, the plane is set to a point on the sketch] and then you put the hole point on this plane, you can use 2D geometry [like vertical constraint from the origin] to control the position of the hole. By putting it on the o.d. of the part [ 3D sketch] you can be sure it's off of it's desired position by several thou or more.. it's nearly impossible to get it where you want it this way..
    JerryFlyGuy
    The more I know... the more I realize I don't
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Sometimes I create a very small flat spot on the od to locate the hole (2d wise). Zoom in to locate the point. You then can edit the hole sketch and lock in the locations. The hole takes out the flat spot entirely. This gets around the 3d sketch which is trouble from day one as far as I'm concerned, especially with holes. All this done, I much prefer to locate a plane on the surface as was previously noted and go from there. Another SW quirk.

Since the shop does c'bores etc from stand tooling I sometimes just create the hole from a depth plane and extrude out ward to the surface. Then in the drawing just lable it "Drill and tap 1/4-20 UNC x .75 DP" . It's all about communication and time spent to design and make the part.