586,801 active members*
6,521 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > MetalWork Discussion > Tips for straighter bores

Hybrid View

Re: Tips for straighter bores

LOL....a veritable storm in a tea cup...…...the problem I highlighted arose form the ongoing conversation/post.....whatever...…..and concerned the aspect of a customer supplier relationship when it comes to producing work to a customer's toleranced drawing., so I suppose it doesn't matter if the hole is not to the tolerance as long as it's parallel.

As long as the gauge pin, no matter what size it is, goes into the hole it will as you say tell you if the hole is tight at the bottom…….I can't imagine what you would make of it if the hole was tight at the top and oversize at the bottom.
    Ian.

Re: Tips for straighter bores

LOL....a veritable storm in a tea cup...…
    hello, yup, i started it i just remembered that a while ago, there was a calibration loss near the limit tolerance ... whatever, like you said, agreing with the client on control method helps

so I suppose it doesn't matter if the hole is not to the tolerance as long as it's parallel
    i don't understand this

I can't imagine what you would make of it if the hole was tight at the top and oversize at the bottom
    sometimes this happens ... for example part is controlled inside the machine and is ok, but after it is taken out, sometimes it happens to be oversized at the bottom

most common cause, is that the fixture puts too much pressure on the part, & the part changes shape

a quick way to check it, is to leave the gauge inside the part, and take the part out : if the gauge does not slip as easy/hard as when the part was inside, or, if the gauge is blocked, than few adjustemnts are made

this is "fluaj", i don't know the english word, rigid material that leaks slowly; unpleasant situation is when this phenomen has effect spread across a time period greater than fewhours-1-2 days

to fix this, it may be enough to program a taper, or to reduce fixture forces, stabilize internal part tension through prior heat-treatments, etc / kindly
    Ladyhawke - My Delirium, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_bFO1SNRZg