586,655 active members*
2,836 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: 4020fx

4020fx

Anyone seen this thing run??

I don't imagine it would be any different than the 3016FX.
    www.integratedmechanical.ca

I would not even take a second look at any Fadal with their legacy control on it. That 32MP was developed in the mid 1980's, and their performance is from that long ago.
    Have cutting tools improved since then?
    Holders?
    Coolants?
    Programming and machining strategies?

At least get one with a new Fanuc control.
    Scott_bob

The FX series come with Fanuc 0i as a base control.

fadal 4020fx

im going up to look at one on monday.....they look good, im probably buying it then if everything checks out....i dont know what the mentioned problem with the controller is, they always used industry standard fanuc controllers....the one thing im looking at is this new controller on the fx to make sure its ok

They have ONLY used Fanuc controllers for a FEW years now. The 88series controllers are not Fanuc.

i was pretty impressed buy it....i dont want to go into machines specs, you can get that from their website....essentially what they have done is improve on a lot of the technology and specs that were industry standard among similar vmc of this magnitude and included most of the options needed in the price...the improvements made some of the older options obsolete... but what happened is that these changes made the price drop...im not adding anything to their base price, no need

I have the 4525. It is a great Machine. I have the Fanuc 18i control, the only problem I have found is the Memory ( not enough for 3-D). If you buy that machine, make sure to get the data server at the time of purchase. You will need it. If you get it at a later time, your looking at 4x's the cost to have it installed at a later time. With the data server you can drip feed your large programs.

Don't forget that you can also drip feed form the Flash Card drive at the right of the LCD on both the 18i and the Oi control. Just set your I/O channel to channel 4 to point the Flash Drive.

Neal

did you buy the machine? If so, how is it?

I just traded in a 2005 Fadal 4020 for two (2) HAAS machines. This makes three (3) HAAS machines I have purchased in the last year. All three (3) of the machines have worked flawlessly (I do not know if that is a word) since they were powered on. No leaks, no glitches, no worries. All of them came standard with USB.

I still have two (2) Fadals, both early 2000 vintage. I just spent over $5000.00 last month on one of them. Axis card for the Y and then z-axis ballscrew. I have yet to hear any great success stories on the new Fadals however, we do live in a small area.
    Jeff Lange
    Lightning Tool & Manufacturing, Inc.

[QUOTE=ltmquik;331434]All of them came standard with USB.
    /QUOTE]

As far as I can see from Fadal's picture at your website you have Fadal with 104D control, but it has up to 7 (!) USB ports (USB hub included in base). Besides this 104D controls had appeared at the market in 2004, and you are writing that you have 2 VMCs manufactured in 2000. So I have an obvious question: how much does Haas pay you? And one recomendation: next time be more prepared!!!

[QUOTE=AllDone;336569]
    Quote Originally Posted by ltmquik View Post
    All of them came standard with USB.
    /QUOTE]

As far as I can see from Fadal's picture at your website you have Fadal with 104D control, but it has up to 7 (!) USB ports (USB hub included in base). Besides this 104D controls had appeared at the market in 2004, and you are writing that you have 2 VMCs manufactured in 2000. So I have an obvious question: how much does Haas pay you? And one recomendation: next time be more prepared!!!
    ...He easily could have traded in the one the picture shows.

[QUOTE=AllDone;336569]
    Quote Originally Posted by ltmquik View Post
    All of them came standard with USB.
    /QUOTE]

The picture on the website is very old. Fadal sent me a 4020 with a Seimens control as a replacement machine for the 104D. The day we installed the Siemens machine we did a tool change and the z-axis moved down and destroyed the tool changer system. It took Fadal two (2) weeks to get the machine back up and running. Also, during the 20 months I had the machine, Fadal replaced three (3) air/oil spindles and two (2) z-axis ball screws not to mention the countless times they were there working on other items. The cooling system never did work 100%. I asked Fadal what they would give for trade on this machine for a new 4525. They offered $40K. HAAS gave me $50K site unseen. This tells me that Fadal has alot of confidence in this machine..

I don't work for HAAS nor do I get paid to tell the truth about the experiences I have with the first three (3) machines I have purchased from HAAS. I was a loyal Fadal user and purchaser until I got bent over twice from them. All machine manufactures have there issues, it is just how the issues get taken care of that ultimately makes the difference. Thanks!
    Jeff Lange

[QUOTE=Cory;336670]
    Quote Originally Posted by AllDone View Post

...He easily could have traded in the one the picture shows.
    The machine is not even at our facility. Fadal was so satisfied with the 104D they retrofitted the machine shown with their legacy HS88 control. As I recall, the machine had a major electrical fire and then was repaired again before being sold to someone else.
    Jeff Lange

poor bastard...