586,106 active members*
2,997 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Homing speed

Question Homing speed

Hi all,

I've finally got my machine wired up for limit switches and home switches. Each axis has 1 limit switch and 1 home switch. I'm using a Xylotex board and I wired everything up as the schematics on the Xylotex web page say to do. The limit switches work fine. When I tell an axis to home, the steppers run very, very slowly towards the home switches. It looks like it is doing what it is supposed to, just real slowly. Is there a setting that I'm missing in Turbocnc. Is anyone using this combo (Xylotex and Turbocnc) having the same experience? Thanks.

jgro

IIRC, in TurboCNC, homing will be done at the slowest speed, i.e., the starting speed specified in the axis configuration.
    Stupid questions make me smarter...
    See how smart I've become at www.9w2bsr.com ;-P

Version 4 it's user selectable. I am now homing at 80 ipm.

Eric
    I wish it wouldn't crash.

Are there two different parameters to set? Homing should always be done at low speed, but return to home should occur at rapid. Just my 2 cents.
    First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

How does the home switch work? Do you manually flick a switch to tell your motors to go to their starting point? Or is it all software? And Also, what is the difference between Parallel and Series home switch, I know that one is connected one after the other and the other is connected on a seperate circuit, but what it the adv. and disadv. of each? Do these take up a lot of current from the Power Supply?
    Thanks.

You can also go to the group site under files and get the R325-Art.zip file and you can have variable homing speed as well as selective axis homing! The feedrate is maxed at 4 as this is the fastest my system would take without faulting out when the home switch tripped out. You also have the option to use the limit switch as the home switch.
    In the case of a mill/drill such as mine, this also does not reduce the already limited travel. I also fly in the face of convention on the Z axis and home it down. With a "portable" home switch, I can tell turbo to home to a specific distance if desired. This is my poor mans tool offset as each tool can now be set to an accurate reference point when the tool is installed.
    Art
    AKA Country Bubba (Older Than Dirt)