586,121 active members*
3,483 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 3 123

Tooling and toolgrinding forum

Would there be any interest in a forum dedicated to toolgrinding and toolgrinding machines? I've been a toolgrinder for nearly 20 years and would be happy to share information. I always have questions, too. I'm having trouble finding a good forum related to just tooling.
    Where Your Quality Counts!
    www.toolgrinder.com
    [email protected]

I have no problem add it, I see a grinding machine at a local show and was impressed by it.

Yeah I'm also a tool grinder, I've been in the trade for about 12 years in Australia, I wouldn't mind a toolgrinding forum, I personally use AutoCAD and grind threading tools such as all kinds of taps (Fluteless/Forming, Gun nose ,spiral flute), thread rolls, screwed shanked endmills and such.

Done, enjoy!

Thanks Paul!
    www.toolgrinder.com
    [email protected]

Thanks Paul!
    www.toolgrinder.com
    [email protected]

Hi i work with toolgrinding in Sweden, and think that a forum
    would be a nice idea

//Jake

I think its great i have been a tool and cutter grinder for 23 years
    and my older brother has been grinding for 30 years.
    I am the only tool grinder in a lare aerospace company
    and I can see how tool grinding is becoming a dying trade
    I think you never stop learning because there are alot of good ideas or tricks
    to grinding tools hopefully this forum can help save some money for people
    and give some good tips and tricks.

i buy cutting tools

farr t, great to have you here. I've a small T&C grinder I'm using and making accessories for. It came with an air spindle which is a great thing to have for end mills and I've been making other accessories

anyway, its great to have some expertise here and i would encourage more people to consider either a used or small T&C grinder. After having one I’m kicking myself for waiting so long – its one of the later things you seem to acquire but always having a razor sharp cutter really improves workmanship imo. I'd kind of like to pick up a horizontal mill now that I can sharpen my own (expensive) cutters for it!

I would like it very much. I have been toolgrinding for 30 years. Most of that for an aerospace company and the last 4 for a company that makes primarily taps and end mills. If you have a grinder and can make tooling there really isn't much you can't do.

Well you guys got me beat by about 15-20 years. I've only been Toolgrinding for about 5 years now, all CNC.

Anyone from Upstate South Carolina (Spartanburg) area ?

What type of machines does everyone run?

This is the machine I run:
    http://www.schuttetgm.com/305.htm

I think I'm the only one out here that runs this type of machine (Havn't found anyone else)

Switcher, you may think you're the T&C noob, but brother you got me beat, both in experience and equipment.

I bought one of these (used) last year.

http://www.heinmanmachinery.com/specs23.pdf

The advantage I have is its in my garage so i bet the commute is shorter . It also has an air spindle that is sooo nice to use for endmills

I've been making some accessories for it and basically it gets used on hss endmills, shell mills, drills, lathe bits etc in my home shop.

I'm glad to see this forum and glad I ran into Mcgyver again!
    I'm still collecting parts to build a simple end mill grinder (for the ends only) and will have some questions.
    Thanks!
    Russ

the same, good to see you on the cnc forum Russ

I've been grinding tooling such as mills, drills, stepdrills, formtooling,lathe tooling, planer knives. Basically anything with an edge.
    We have 2 new Ancas TX7+ (which we've named T-rex and Junior) and 3 500 series Walters ( named Larry, Curley and Moe). Along with many manual grinders.

This past week I've started drawing up some prints to make my own base and version of a #2 cincinatti including the ability to raise and lower the spindle along with machining the two wedges to till the spindle at different angles. and couple this with an air bearing, finger and 5C collets, then I'll be all set when that last .375 4flute gets dull at 3am saturday or sunday morning.

I'll enjoy thread
    :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Well back to the grindstone. Good job sparky, your pretty sharp, just don't loose that edge. I see your back again Chip

Quote Originally Posted by Donald
    This past week I've started drawing up some prints to make my own base and version of a #2 cincinatti including the ability to raise and lower the spindle along with machining the two wedges to till the spindle at different angles. and couple this with an air bearing, finger and 5C collets,
    Hi Donald,

I was toying around with a CAD design of a similar idea -- a small universal T&C grinder built from scratch. My thought was to build a base and 18x6x1 1/2" table out of Durabar, and a central round-column for the grinder head, with an acme screw to raise/lower the head. Something along the lines of a Delta/Rockwell Toolmaker.

Were you planning on a round column, or square, for the grinder head?

Thanks,

Robert

Donald, for the reasons you mentioned + economics they are a great addition to the home shop - wish i done it earlier. But imo, just go buy one. you'll find a used one for less than the spindle bearings will cost and the air bearing's a freebe. cando diy is great, i'm there with ya, but a precision grinder, man that's uphill.

Now a guy like Robert, i don't know why he's even bothering with with the durabar, I bet he'd knock up something that'd holds tenths with a couple 'o Popsicle sticks. good to see you here Robert

Yeah, I deserved that Mcgyver I was over here looking for reviews of Alibre, and saw that Russ was trying to get in touch with me...

I bought one of these (used) last year.
    If you don't mind me asking, about how much was it with the air bearing? Did you get it on Ebay?

My problem is two-fold: I don't have the space in my shop for a floor model, so the Taiwanese K.O. Lee clone you found would be perfect, but they seem to go for a lot, even without the air spindle, and the Harig/Weldon air spindles are $300 - $500, even in lousy condition.

As it turns out, I stumbled across a set of three high-speed CNC grinding heads in pristine condition, and they would make a superb head for a tool and cutter grinder.

So really I'm left with building a sturdy base and a spindle support mechanism. A heavy cast-iron table riding on linear guides would make a sweet table-top T&C grinder...

they were asking 1600 cdn at a machinery dealer, did a cash deal for 1200 with the air bearing, very few signs of use. I ended up meeting the guy who's shop it was from, they came to the conclusion that in a commercial environment, using it wasn't the best use of their time. I'd being toying with making a Quorn, but the costs fob my shop of the castings + years of work....started to think buying one was a better idea and then spotted the Chevalier at a dealer. Those heads sound nice, sounds like the expensive parts are taken care of! does the head include all the angular adustments? if so, maybe start with a burned out surface grinder as a platform, it'll have the xyz motion - oops guess that doesn't solve the space issue

Donald, I probably shot from the hip a bit on my earlier post, sorry but it was late. there have been many very fine t&c grinders made at home. The Quorn for example (worth having a good look at if you want to make a homemade machine) is a time tested and versatile design. It's build is long and complex and while great for the home shop it's performance is a fraction of a Cinci #2 with an air spindle. If that's the performance you are after, I'd bet you'd have a hard time getting there without spending a huge amount of money and time when a good used ones are, what 2500-5000? (just a guess, maybe less).

current puzzle is how to construct a dust extraction system for it

Page 1 of 3 123