586,106 active members*
2,975 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Spindle turning wrong direction!?

One disaster after another with this awful machine :/

The spindle is spinning in the wrong direction, I was wondering why it was burning through the wood instead of cutting it. Any ideas on how to change its direction without rewiring it?

Pic attached, I have no idea what the controls on the box are for they don't seem to do anything and the CNC USB program doesn't seem to control the spindle at all, I would have thought F/R would have been it, but it doesn't seem so.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails WIN_20190503_03_20_44_Pro.jpg  

Re: Spindle turning wrong direction!?

its difficult to see if you have a water supply to cool the spindle motor -
    do not run it without any cooling !

going by the photo of your CNC Control box you have a 3 phase VFD
    to reverse the motor swap any two of the three motor wires - probably easier at the VFD terminal block

a clear photo of the spindle motor and inside of your control box will help

john

PS

water cooled motor
    Attachment 419122

air cooled motor
    Attachment 419124

open VFD board
    Attachment 419126

its worth checking the spindle motor is earthed via the motor cable -
    the Chinese have a habit of not connecting the earth

If the motor is running correctly except that a M3 command runs in reverse and a M4 runs in forward then you need to swap any 2 of the 3 leads connected to the UVW terminals that connect the motor to the VFD. Still wiring, but simple.

Quote Originally Posted by john-100 View Post
    to reverse the motor swap any two of the three motor wires - probably easier at the VFD terminal block
    Nah I didn't hook the water up, it didn't come with a hose but there is a crappy pond pump. I just did a couple passes over some wood but plumes of smoke stopped that.

The water switch and emergency stop switch are completely non functional so I assume the vdf controls are likewise, I cannot make the F/R button do anything..

Quote Originally Posted by rcheli View Post
    If the motor is running correctly except that a M3 command runs in reverse and a M4 runs in forward
    I'm not sure what you mean by this. I'll open the box up tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by htraps View Post
    One disaster after another with this awful machine :/

The spindle is spinning in the wrong direction, I was wondering why it was burning through the wood instead of cutting it. Any ideas on how to change its direction without rewiring it?

Pic attached, I have no idea what the controls on the box are for they don't seem to do anything and the CNC USB program doesn't seem to control the spindle at all, I would have thought F/R would have been it, but it doesn't seem so.
    Who ever wired the spindle up then, it was not correctly wired normally these spindles are wired, there are some that are different but this is the norm

U=Pin 1

V=Pin 2

W=Pin 3

Ground to Pin 4

Yes you will damage the spindle even a 30sec run is enough to damage it

These machines are cheap and you have to expect to correct wiring and some of the assembly before you will have a working machine, so may people are used to being able to take it back to the store if it does not work, if this is your case then you picked the wrong hobby to be in
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    Yes you will damage the spindle even a 30sec run is enough to damage it
    Is it that fast with a Water Cooler Spindle? (With or without water in the pipes. ) I have mistakenly forgot to turn my pump on once or twice for 2 minutes jobs and nothing too terrible seemed to happen but then maybe the water in the spindle absorbed that.

These machines are cheap and you have to expect to correct wiring and some of the assembly before you will have a working machine, so may people are used to being able to take it back to the store if it does not work, if this is your case then you picked the wrong hobby to be in
    Made me think of this Meme , very true though .
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails hobbies.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Butcher9_9 View Post
    Is it that fast with a Water Cooler Spindle? (With or without water in the pipes. ) I have mistakenly forgot to turn my pump on once or twice for 2 minutes jobs and nothing too terrible seemed to happen but then maybe the water in the spindle absorbed that.

Made me think of this Meme , very true though .
    If you think about what you just said about the water not being on, you spindle had water in it so would of been fine until the water in it got to hot, you need to wire the pump to the VFD Drive relay output so when it turns on so does the pump that is how most do it, then it is one less thing to have to think about

And yes a short run even to test one of these spindle at full speed has been known to damage the windings enough, so when it is used under load for cutting they have failed, some are better made than others and can stand a little more abuse
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by john-100 View Post

a clear photo of the spindle motor and inside of your control box will help

john

air cooled motor
    Attachment 419124

its worth checking the spindle motor is earthed via the motor cable -
    the Chinese have a habit of not connecting the earth
    A very bad photo you are showing there of the 3 Pin spindle connector, they would not pass code requirement in any country, and should be band from import to any country other than China

4 pin is the requirement for any safe 3ph connection like this

So nobody should buy a spindle that has a 3 pin power connector on it then just may be the Chinese manufacturers would get the message not to make them like this
    Mactec54

4 pin is the requirement for any safe 3ph connection like this
    What is the danger? Mine has 4 pin but only 3 are connected.

Here is pictures inside the box of the spindle that rotates the wrong way. What wires should be changed? Note there is some heatshrinked thing in the line, whatever that is.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails WIN_20190503_23_24_33_Pro.jpg   WIN_20190503_23_25_51_Pro.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by htraps View Post
    What is the danger? Mine has 4 pin but only 3 are connected.

Here is pictures inside the box of the spindle that rotates the wrong way. What wires should be changed? Note there is some heatshrinked thing in the line, whatever that is.
    Electrocution if there is a fault somewhere, it has been known also can fry your Breakout Board if no main Grounding of the spindle and VFD It is also an Electrical Code violation if this is not correctly Grounded

The wires to change are any of the 3 wires you see to the right hand side in the first photo of the VFD Drive Board
    Mactec54

Thanks guys I flipped the black and white wires and it is rotating in the correct direction now.

Good stuff....make sure you look into the 'missing earth wire' problem. It doesn't affect how it runs but it may save your life.
    I've added one to mine.
    If you don't have a 4 pin connector, you will have to fit one.