We are in the early stages of using (mostly learning) Mastercam X2 Mill Level 3. Currently trying our luck creating g-code for our ProtoTRAK SX3 with advanced features. We are using the ProtoTRAK post from the EMastercam.com web site. It definitely needs some tweaks as it leaves out M06 and “S” (speed) commands and “D” are always 0. Have to make edits before running.

The part we started with has a 40.2mm hole down through the center. The attack was to ruff out the hole then utilize a finish pass using “Control” cutter compensation. The program ran flawlessly in Trial mode. Once the tool diameters were loaded into the tool setup page it was the end of the story. We kept getting a cutter compensation error message.

I could access the g-code edit screen to make changes but could no longer run the machine. Opened another g-gode program without cutter compensation and it too would not run. Even when going back to conversational programming, the machine would not run. Had to power down and reboot to get it to work again.

Has anyone else experienced this? I can live with being informed of a cutter compensation issue, but let me edit the program and continue. Power down and reboot is not an economical way to deal with tool path errors.

I spoke with my Mastercam reseller who suggested we use “Wear” compensation. Made the change to "Wear" and the program seems to run great.
Concerned if my controller is acting up?

Thanks for any input you can share on this! Yes, I am a newbie to this forum!