Quote Originally Posted by RLWoodie View Post
Upnorth and Mactec54

Thank you for your replies.

I have watched the videos so thanks for your effort and time it has helped a lot. I was attracted to Acorn in the first place because there seems to be so much support which is why I was so disappointed to read of Ray's experience. I am not completely thick but my Mach3 experience has been a continuum of difficulty and frustration. I did modify my Seig mill to use with a simple CNC system to cut clock wheels but it it was limited in scope. This is why I have tried to instal Mach3 so I can use the metal turning wizard. But the ports and pins issues and a dying parallel port computer ended that. I now have another suitable computer and am trying again.

When I read the information on Acorn it seemed like the perfect solution. The idea of the hardware and software supplied by the same company is a huge plus in my view because it reduces integrational problems. I loved the Acorn conversational programming system. The only downside for me is that I am in Australia and will have to use a 240/110v transformer. I'm impressed by the support compared to other options that comes with Acorn and if the problems listed by Ray have now been dealt with will put it back on my shopping list.
regards
Woodie
The Power supply is dual voltage so you won't have a problem in that area, You do want to have a computer to there required spec's or close to it though

If you have problems with Mach3 then you may have problems with anything you try Mach3 I think is one of the easiest controls to setup and run, there are a lot of bells and whistles but you only need the basic's to get it running

For a Lathe Acorn it very good as it has a simple Encoder setup for threading as Mach3 can be more of a challenge in that area and you would loose any hair that you have left most likely to get that part running