586,042 active members*
3,685 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: BigStick

BigStick

I just purchased a optimum bf 20 mill and want to buy a belt conversion kit for it. I want to run faster than the machine currently runs and I’m concerned I will destroy the plastic gears. I have seen the kits on you tube but can’t find where to buy one. The videos are quite old as well.
    Any ideas?
    Kim

Re: BigStick

Quote Originally Posted by BigStick View Post
    I just purchased a optimum bf 20 mill and want to buy a belt conversion kit for it. I want to run faster than the machine currently runs and I’m concerned I will destroy the plastic gears. I have seen the kits on you tube but can’t find where to buy one. The videos are quite old as well.
    Any ideas?
    Kim
    Not only the gears, other parts or the motor could be damaged if the speed exceeds the limit.
    http://cncmakers.com/cnc/controllers/CNC_Controller_System/CNC_Retrofit_Package.html

Re: BigStick

Fundamentally, with a belt drive you do not use the gears any more and as regard the other posters comments the motor would be geared by the chosen pulleys
    to remain in the same rpm / torque range so no chance of damage! The usual primary concern is the spindle bearings, as most only have a speed rating similar to
    the max provided by the original gear ratio say, 3000rpm, so upping the speed to say, 6000rpm will usually cause bearing overheat and failure! If you have access
    to a lathe buying the timing belt pulleys on line and machining them to fit motor and spindle isn't rocket science and proved to be quite cheap overall for me.