586,634 active members*
2,927 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Gravograph IS800...help making it work

Hello, I have a Gravograph IS800. It seems to be a pretty awesome machine from what I'm used to anyway, but I'm struggling to understand how to operate it properly. It's running on an old Surelab engraving software...which I'm also trying to get my head around...

I've managed to get it to engrave, but I seem to have no control about where on the bed it chooses to do the engraving. I know how to set depth etc, but I have a large control panel I want to engrave accurately. The pane has been pre-cut so matching up the engraving to the exact locations is either a case of trial and error, which frankly is driving me mad, or learning how to use the combination of software and machine to get it right.

I've drawn the work up and imported in as a .dxf no problem. For the moment I've been selecting specific text areas and getting that the engrave, but I'm not going to put one of the cut panels on until I can solve the positioning issue.

I seem to be wildly guessing at the controls on the IS800 as well as the software. Any help or direction on where to get help would be really great. Thank you in advance

Re: Gravograph IS800...help making it work

Hi. That's a very capable machine you got there. I use to have an IS6000 and it was very versatile and easy to operate but of course we were using the Gravostyle98 software. I think your best bet there is to look for a second hand dongle for the Gravostyle98 with Dynamic capability. I'm sure there's one around online selling for less than $500. That will be a good enough investment if you are serious in using the full potential of that machine.

Many thanks for your reply. I've been keeping a general eye out for second hand software, but not found anything yet, is there a best place to look?

Sent from my E6853 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by PePod View Post
    Many thanks for your reply. I've been keeping a general eye out for second hand software, but not found anything yet, is there a best place to look?

Sent from my E6853 using Tapatalk
    I've seen a couple of times some Gravostyle 98 Graphic being offered in ebay but can't remember the numbers. Anyway, there's a Discovery level (the basic level) with a key circulating around the web for free. Maybe you can try and see if it suits your need. Tutorials are also available online so that wouldn't be a problem. Let me know what else you need .... maybe I can help. Will let you know if I come across a gravostyle dongle. This engraving app might be old but as long as they get the job done, it really doesn't matter.

Hi. Just wondering if you've solved operating your Gravograph IS800. I just bumped into a client willing to sell one of his Gravostyle '98 Graphics dongle. Let me if you're still interested before I ask for any figures.

Apologies for the late reply, yes, I solved it with the purchase of Gravostyle 8...totally sorted out now...well in terms of basic engraving onto existing panels anyway. I'm not sure I quite get how to set it to engrave and then cut out holes and the panel itself...it seems I need more than just the Discovery version...seems a bit odd to just be able to engrave and nothing else?

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by PePod View Post
    Apologies for the late reply, yes, I solved it with the purchase of Gravostyle 8...totally sorted out now...well in terms of basic engraving onto existing panels anyway. I'm not sure I quite get how to set it to engrave and then cut out holes and the panel itself...it seems I need more than just the Discovery version...seems a bit odd to just be able to engrave and nothing else?

Hi,

I'm not so familiar with the Gravostyle 8 but like the older versions, I think they come with different levels depending on what you need and/or how much you are willing to pay. The Discovery version is very basic but it can engrave and cut your desired panel with ease. You can draw the outline and layout within Gravostyle 8 or import it from another application in the eps format. Of course, you will need an engraving cutter and a cutting cutter to engrave and cut your panel. All of these can be done with ease as long as you have the right tools.

In the Discovery version, the job is very straight forward, select … and machine. if you can relate to me what you want maybe I can help further in your setup. Good day.

Thank you for your offer. I'm engraving very happily with it at the moment onto pre-cut panels, importing dxf files I draw.

Set-up takes a little time to get it perfectly lined up, but once there it's great.

I found that cutting holes, I can't select which side of the line the cutter would work to. It seems to pick the line as the centre of the tool. If I can't change this I'll have to redraw the panels allowing for the thickness of the cutter....?

Glad to hear you're getting the feel of it.

Yes, the machine will assume the line as the center of your tool. So the best thing to do is make an offset of the circle using 1/2 less the width of your tool. This is one problem you can eliminate if you're using the higher level ( I think the Graphics version) of the software. You can use Fill to route the inside of the hole without touching the line. But for a start, I think you'll do fine with this setup.

Oh, I'll take a look at Fill...the tolerances of the panels needs to be exact and they've taken hours and hours to draw, so I'm reluctant to have to redraw them, working out all the alterations.

Is Fill fairly straight forward? I have to say, I do like the software. Discovery is the second option so I'm really surprised that this basic requirement is missing.

I'm not really so sure about Gravostyle 8. I'm much more familiar about Gravostyle '98. It's quite old but the Graphics or Dynamic levels ( the highest level ) are just about everything you need. Filling is straight forward but you have to input the details of your tool and from there, the software takes care of the path of the machining taking care not to include the lines.