587,008 active members*
3,539 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Servo Motors / Drives > Setting up AMC BE25A20 in torque mode?

Hybrid View

Re: Setting up AMC BE25A20 in torque mode?

Quote Originally Posted by CATCH22 View Post
    Hey Sean, I would like a drawing of your electronics if you wouldn't mind, I could possibly copy it to get mine setup.
    Thanks Mike
    Sure, here are some pics of the wiring diagrams and the board I made to do the interfacing. The analog pairs don't go through the board but rather are direct connected. The EStop connection shown is to my EStop relay which for this item is wired normally open (E-Stop tripped) to digital ground. R1, R2, and R3 should be 200 - 1K ohms and R4, R5, and R6 should be 1K - 6K ohms. I used 1K for all 6. Ideally R4, R5, and R6 would be closer to 5K to reduce the current draw. Let me know if you have any other questions on this.

Attachment 421156
    Attachment 421158
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0529192314c.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	63.5 KB 
ID:	421160

Quote Originally Posted by seanano View Post
    Sure, here are some pics of the wiring diagrams and the board I made to do the interfacing. The analog pairs don't go through the board but rather are direct connected. The EStop connection shown is to my EStop relay which for this item is wired normally open (E-Stop tripped) to digital ground. R1, R2, and R3 should be 200 - 1K ohms and R4, R5, and R6 should be 1K - 6K ohms. I used 1K for all 6. Ideally R4, R5, and R6 would be closer to 5K to reduce the current draw. Let me know if you have any other questions on this.

Attachment 421156
    Attachment 421158
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0529192314c.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	63.5 KB 
ID:	421160
    Thanks Sean, now all I have to do is figure out how to read electrical schematics. Lol

Thanks Sean, now all I have to do is figure out how to read electrical schematics. Lol
    Hey Sean where did you get the stuff to make your own boards?

Hey Sean where did you get the stuff to make your own boards?
    Most of the parts I had left over from previous projects. The only thing I had to buy were the CPC1333G chips and I got those from DigiKey:

https://www.digikey.com/product-deta...388-ND/3077506

Mouser also has them. I tend to get most of my chips from those two places. The circuit board and terminals can be found in sets at a lot of different places including Amazon and eBay. I just bought a set off of Amazon for making my spindle encoder board:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PD1HFHQ

I haven't actually used it yet so this is not an endorsement of that particular item. You can solder the CPC1333G chips directly to the board but I prefer to use IC sockets so they are easier to replace if necessary. A single 24 pin DIP socket is sufficient for this board. I had a couple of 14 pin sockets laying around so I used those with a gap between each pair of chips. You can find the sockets at DigiKey, Mouser, Amazon, or eBay. Depending upon where you live there may still be an actual electronics store locally that may have them.

For the resistors, 1/2 watt and pretty much any tolerance will work. Might as well get them from where you are getting the chips. Note that if you aren't using 24VDC for the 7i77 Field I/O then the resistor values may need to be changed.

As for reading the schematic, just follow the lines. Any big dots are junctions. Squiggly lines are resistors. The CPC1333G chip pins are labelled on one of the drawings. Pay attention to orientation. For each axis, I have the chips flipped 180 degrees since one chip is output from the 7i77 and the other chip is output from the AMC drive.

A disclaimer... I am not an electronics pro, just a hobbyist. I have only been using the board for about a month and it functions as I expected. Before you go through the effort of making this, do make sure your drives are functioning properly if you haven't done so already. Go through the drive setup section in the manual I referenced earlier as it walks you through this.

Most of the parts I had left over from previous projects. The only thing I had to buy were the CPC1333G chips and I got those from DigiKey:

Mouser also has them. I tend to get most of my chips from those two places. The circuit board and terminals can be found in sets at a lot of different places including Amazon and eBay. I just bought a set off of Amazon for making my spindle encoder board:

I haven't actually used it yet so this is not an endorsement of that particular item. You can solder the CPC1333G chips directly to the board but I prefer to use IC sockets so they are easier to replace if necessary. A single 24 pin DIP socket is sufficient for this board. I had a couple of 14 pin sockets laying around so I used those with a gap between each pair of chips. You can find the sockets at DigiKey, Mouser, Amazon, or eBay. Depending upon where you live there may still be an actual electronics store locally that may have them.

For the resistors, 1/2 watt and pretty much any tolerance will work. Might as well get them from where you are getting the chips. Note that if you aren't using 24VDC for the 7i77 Field I/O then the resistor values may need to be changed.

As for reading the schematic, just follow the lines. Any big dots are junctions. Squiggly lines are resistors. The CPC1333G chip pins are labelled on one of the drawings. Pay attention to orientation. For each axis, I have the chips flipped 180 degrees since one chip is output from the 7i77 and the other chip is output from the AMC drive.

A disclaimer... I am not an electronics pro, just a hobbyist. I have only been using the board for about a month and it functions as I expected. Before you go through the effort of making this, do make sure your drives are functioning properly if you haven't done so already. Go through the drive setup section in the manual I referenced earlier as it walks you through this.
    Awesome, thanks Sean.

Hi Sean, I am just starting to get back to it, just wondering if you have had a chance to try your boards out yet and if you have made any changes before I drive in.
    Thanks Mike

Hi Sean, I am just starting to get back to it, just wondering if you have had a chance to try your boards out yet and if you have made any changes before I drive in.
    Thanks Mike
    Hey Sean, could you also tell me what size boards you used.
    Thanks Mike

I made one of these boards that Sean so kindly shared with me, but I can't figure out where the fault goes into the 7i77 board, can't see anything in the manual about it.
    If anyone can help me out I would really appreciate it.
    Thanks Mike

I made one of these boards that Sean so kindly shared with me, but I can't figure out where the fault goes into the 7i77 board, can't see anything in the manual about it.
    If anyone can help me out I would really appreciate it.
    Thanks Mike
    Mike, I apologize, I must have missed the notification there was a reply in the thread. Did you get this figured out yet? I have each of the fault outputs from the board going into one of the 7i77 24VDC capable inputs. It really doesn't matter which one. I have that input pin then set as a fault for the axis in the hal configuration (IIRC I did that in pncconf). I know that isn't real specific. I can go grab the configuration from the machine if it would help.

Sean

Mike, I apologize, I must have missed the notification there was a reply in the thread. Did you get this figured out yet? I have each of the fault outputs from the board going into one of the 7i77 24VDC capable inputs. It really doesn't matter which one. I have that input pin then set as a fault for the axis in the hal configuration (IIRC I did that in pncconf). I know that isn't real specific. I can go grab the configuration from the machine if it would help.

Sean
    Thanks Sean, but I have it up and running now.
    Thanks Mike