Quote Originally Posted by deadlykitten View Post
hy catalyst there should be a io safety switch inside the electrical cabinet; this allows to move the axis only by using the hand wheel; like this, you move all axis until you hit the hard limit in both directions, by looking at the limitators when they are nearly to be pushed : this requires to have a visual of the limitators, and also, i am afraid that in this mode ( io switch position <> default ), you won't be receiving the over travel alarm A, and it may be dangerous; even if the alarm occurs, then there is a chance for a fail if a hard limit is faulty, so maybe this method should be postponed until it is understood how it works; however, once mastered, it allows defining the soft limits pretty accurate

an alternative, would be to inspect the parameters of soft limit travels, but i don't know where they are located for your machine / osp generation ... i may guess, but i may get it wrong if you know where those parameters are, you simply inspect the limits and adjust the encoders base to be between them, but not anyhow : if i remember correct, X & Y base 0 is at travel/2, while Z base 0 is <> travel/2 ( regarding the relative position of the base 0 and the soft limits, maybe you can check the management data card, that maybe is inside the electrical cabinet, somewhere down or in a pocket on the door inside : if it has written the original bases and soft limits, you may figure it out if positive and negative travels are equal or different; even so, it should be possible to re-calibrate the axis, by puting the base 0 anywhre you wish between soft+ & soft-) ; however, as long as base 0 is between soft+ & soft-, even if it is not where it should be, then an alarm A over travel should occur if a hard limit is reached; again, you may get into trouble if a hard limit switch is faulty, so once again i recomand having a visual of these hard limit switches, so to stop feeding the axis when you are near them, and also to check if alarm A occurs as it should

another thing, is that once you have rotated the encoders by hand, it may be possible that their new position is not updated inside the controller, or, if it was updated, then the soft limits are still as before

regarding these limits, it may be possible that some parameters self update, if other parameters are changed, so it would be ok to have the values written before begining to edit them; stuff may escalade quickly if some parameters will self update, without being aware that also they need to be checked

in the end, if all goes ok, you should check and update :
... home position 1 & 2 : so to avoid crashing during a tool change sequence, since those homes may be used as a reference during tool changing
... pivot distance : in case a 4th 5th axis is used, and the ' pivot ' parameters is used during coding; even if you don't use it, it should be where it was before, just in case a rotary is added and the person that will setup it is not aware; this is not so critical, if a rotary is adjusted later, by someone who knows what he is doings
... there may be also other parameters

my god, you are so lost i am afraid that you need someone near you ( like a trustfull pet ), or at least to have teamviewer on your machine / kindly
Hello Kitten

Once the encoders were rotated the new position was updated and the limits seems to be the same as before. We have checked the parameters, beside the ones we changed, they are still the same. We have the original 3.5" diskette with the parameters, but we are not able to read in old PC´s, this just doesn´t boot up.

First the MC Zero Offset Parameter was updated and then the home position 1 was updated to avoid overtravel when zero return was commanded.

Until here everything ok.

PS I´m lucky to have my pokemons always with me :3 :wee:

Greetings