Quote Originally Posted by handlewanker View Post
I would think a Bridgey was the last place you would start if you wanted a router with high specs, certainly not if you have an 8 X 12 foot sheet of plywood in mind.

At the same time, just getting a DIY build of quite large proportions level and square would be beyond even a fairly well equipped workshop...…..the problem being that as the temperature fluctuates then so does your machine...….also what could a DIY person use to ensure that it meets very high accuracy once it's assembled.

The main point is who in his right mind would expect a large router to perform like a small router when it comes to accuracy over large dimensions...….just getting the frame work square to accept linear rails is well beyond the average DIY home workshop person.

For the answer to this topic I think you must tailor your needs to your ability to achieve...…...anything lacking in the making department and you get just an average DIY build that could cut materials of various consistencies but how accurate is an unknown factor on the path to the initial creativity.

First you have to have an accurate machine and the cost of accuracy is an exponential curve once you raise your specs...….high end spindles and tooling do not make a machine, they compliment it.

I think the first step is to propose a design so that a tangible feel can be got.....castles in the air are two a penny.
Ian.
It doesn't have to be a Bridgeport specifically. Obviously it is for the individual to search for machines or parts based on their specific needs.

If you have a budget of $4000 for a diy build, it is just worth finding out if that money would be better spent on a used machine or used parts. $4000 goes a long way for a smart shopper on ebay. Or, it can go towards to very average cnc t-slot kits...

If you are starting with a full machine shop in your shed like some of the "diy" guys on YouTube then you might have more confidence in your own abilities than someone with just a Ryobi drill press from Home Depot.