586,781 active members*
3,055 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Hybrid View

Re: Small Portable Machine

Jerry you would likely get use to those mechanical limits but limit switches are the right move here. The reality is hard crashes are not good for the machine. On the other hand switches mean the loss of a-bit more of your limited travel.

By the way it looks like you have an interesting variant of this Chinese machine. Looks really nice in the video. As for noise an enclosure might help. You could even throw a cooler over it. Or make a dual purpose crate/box that could fit over the machine yet be useful for packing things.

One thing that I would like in such a situation is to be able to set up such a machine on a picnic table and to run it as the sun goes down. However being outdoors that would be even less desirable if neighbors are near. Thus a sound enclosure would be of huge benefit. I’m just trying to think of ways to keep your options open.

Re: Small Portable Machine

Quote Originally Posted by wizard View Post
    Jerry you would likely get use to those mechanical limits but limit switches are the right move here. The reality is hard crashes are not good for the machine. On the other hand switches mean the loss of a-bit more of your limited travel.

By the way it looks like you have an interesting variant of this Chinese machine. Looks really nice in the video. As for noise an enclosure might help. You could even throw a cooler over it. Or make a dual purpose crate/box that could fit over the machine yet be useful for packing things.

One thing that I would like in such a situation is to be able to set up such a machine on a picnic table and to run it as the sun goes down. However being outdoors that would be even less desirable if neighbors are near. Thus a sound enclosure would be of huge benefit. I’m just trying to think of ways to keep your options open.
    I have picked the size of this specific machine so that I can install it on a tray with havy-duty drawer slides and just pull it out of the storage compartments of the motorhome. All not finished yet but the drawer is installed and I have a full 1/2" space left in the depth and height so I guess it will work. With that configuration it should not take more than a few minutes to get up and running: Open the storage bin door, slide out the drawer with the machine, plug in power and USB to the PC and cut.

But now I realize all the other things that I should take with me to support that work. Small folding work bench, ROS, jig saw, battery drill and a bunch of hand tools come to mind. Great that the motorhome has a lot of storage space...
    Box Joint and Dovetail CAM software here: WWW.TAILMAKER.NET