586,036 active members*
3,695 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Okuma > Oil Matic MPSD what is it for and how to set it?

Oil Matic MPSD what is it for and how to set it?

Hello! I have Oil Matic MPSD-07-N-CE on my Okuma B200. I dont have any books or manuals for the oil matic and i cant find much on the internet. Found in PDF what MPSD stands for:
    M is for...model ?
    P is for High Precision
    S is for Cooling Main spindle
    D is for With tank

Ok so in the morning the temperature shows around 23°C (outside temp is around 20°C) and later it shows around 28-29-30°C.
    I also found some settings in the PDF. By holding ENT and changing the next value to 10 (from 11) a new menu appeared before my eyes! It was "C" menu which was set to 45°C !? I set it to 25°C and it was holding that for about an hour (then my shift ended) +-0.1°C. I've never seen it holding one temperature before. Did i turned it ON ? Did i do something i wasn't supposed to do ? What did i do ? May someone explain me the benefits of holding constant 25°C and why am i cooling the main spindle for ?

Re: Oil Matic MPSD what is it for and how to set it?

hy, so far, everything seems fine ... please share that pdf if u wish, i will take a look about the settings

it keeps the bearings chill
    Ladyhawke - My Delirium, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_bFO1SNRZg

Its on the bottom of this page
    General Catalog (19MB)
    https://www.kantoseiki.co.jp/en/products/oilmatic.html

Do i gain some precision by holding 25°C on the main spindle? What about my second spindle?
    I really hoped it is for the cutting fluid cause it gets like a bubble bath in there after 4 hours of constant work. The foam is rising for battle about 20cm and it gets rather warm...or its the fluid to blame ?

Ok so in the PDF they state that the ambient temp and oil temp should not have high difference...since the machine room temp is 15C in the morning and 30C after 5 hours...i'm gonna set it to Follow-up type (it was like that before i pushed buttons) rather than constant 25C.

Aghh it's so hard with those machines....little to no info about this job....maaan it was so easy when i worked with computers, i could literally check everything and built my own damn operating system for nuclear power plant on mars...

This diagram shows that i'll be within range if i set it to 25C and room temp is +-10C. Any thoughts?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	21.2 KB 
ID:	424573

ooh tarox ... i wish to congratulate you so you played with the device, and what happened ?!?! does this happens to you often ? i am pretty sure someone told you to push those buttons

M is for...model ?
    aha, i feel you

Do i gain some precision by holding 25°C on the main spindle?
    well, okuma's are made by people, people does mistakes ... make a complain to your okuma dealer ?

What about my second spindle?
    i don't have a machine like yours, but i believe that the tank + mpsd unit, is serving both spindles; take a look behind the covers

really hoped it is for the cutting fluid cause it gets like a bubble bath in there after 4 hours of constant work
    mpsd : cooling the agent for high precision spindles; tank included ...

... but let's get real : of course the unit is cooling the cutting fluid, because the spindle is much more expensive than a coolant pump + coolant pipes / i hope you get it

however, you can buy another cooling unit for the cutting fluid ...

my dear tarox, is normal for the cutting fluid to get higher temperature, especially after 4 hours of machining

i'm gonna set it to Follow-up type (it was like that before i pushed buttons) rather than constant 25C.
    "follow up" requires less energy to operate

Aghh it's so hard with those machines
    no, is ok

little to no info about this job
    well, just ask for infos

maaan it was so easy when i worked with computers, i could literally check everything and built my own damn operating system for nuclear power plant on mars...
    i don't know, good luck with whatever you are doing / kindly

The more thermally stable your machine is, the more accurate it will be. The chiller unit is meant to keep your machine stable. That being said, it the ambient temperature varies by a large number from the chiller setting, condensation will occur and could cause moisture to get into your bearings. This could cause them to fail prematurely. For the best accuracy you will want a environment that remains at a consistent temperature and your chiller set to a fixed number. Since your temperature varies widely, you must set your unit to following so that the moisture does not occur by a large difference in chiller vs ambient temperature. Less accurate but still prevents overheating and gives longevity of the machine.

The builder doesn’t know what environment the machine will go into so they set to following style to be safe.

Best regards,
    Experience is what you get just after you needed it.

Quote Originally Posted by deadlykitten View Post
    ooh tarox ... i wish to congratulate you so you played with the device, and what happened ?!?! does this happens to you often ? i am pretty sure someone told you to push those buttons
    Yeah my paycheck is very low so i push whatever i can to learn new stuff and go to the next level Of course i'm not like Diddy from Dexter's Laboratory pushing blindly. What happened? I learned what the unit does and how to set it up (i had no idea before). No one told me to push anything. You don't know how scared are the people in here to push a button...like literally scared...
    Thank you for the explanation!

Quote Originally Posted by OkumaWiz View Post
    The more thermally stable your machine is, the more accurate it will be. The chiller unit is meant to keep your machine stable. That being said, it the ambient temperature varies by a large number from the chiller setting, condensation will occur and could cause moisture to get into your bearings. This could cause them to fail prematurely. For the best accuracy you will want a environment that remains at a consistent temperature and your chiller set to a fixed number. Since your temperature varies widely, you must set your unit to following so that the moisture does not occur by a large difference in chiller vs ambient temperature. Less accurate but still prevents overheating and gives longevity of the machine.

The builder doesn’t know what environment the machine will go into so they set to following style to be safe.

Best regards,
    Sounds logical. Any thoughts what could be the max difference between ambient temp and the cooled fluid ?
    I contacted Kanto Seiki (the manufacturer of the unit) and they sent me some more documents with settings and schemes but they didn't answer my question if its safe to operate the unit in constant mode 25C when room temp is 35C.

Thanks for the replays!

hi, i would leave the unit in follow-up mode, unless there would be some issues with part's dimensions ... however, okuma's are pretty rigid, tas-s & tas-c is default, and this should be enough for most parts

did you experienced a deviation ? are parts dimensions within tolerances ? then is all ok

machine can deliver a dimension with tolerance < 0.02..0.03 for a long time, like weeks so, i would worry, just a bit, only if tolerances should be < 0.01

... if machines is chilled, it will keep a narrow tolerance
    ... if tool is chilled, it will have a longer life

the greater the temperature difference between ambient and mpsd-unit settings, the more stress on the mpsd unit ... also, like mr wizard said, moisture may appear

You don't know how scared are the people in here to push a button...like literally scared...
    you are very brave

I've never been in a fixed room temp so i'm constantly changing the tool offset correction but i can deliver parts with +-0.01 without a problem. 2 days since i'm in constant mode 25C....no difference at all. Switching to follow-up mode!