A few years ago I converted my G0704 mill to CNC and can use it it make most of the parts I need. However without a lathe, there is a lot of stuff I can't do. So I purchased a Precision Mathews 1228MV lathe. As a small manual machine, it's pretty good, but some of the parts I want to make have complex curves that are a pain on a manual machine. So, I found myself doing a conversion of it as well. Since I love looking at others photos of machines, here are mine.

Here is a full shot of the system. The only thing remaining to complete is some software for the LCD panel on the console. I will be programmed to display the spindle speed and will set the switches for multiple functions.

Closeup of the cross slide. The RED parts are 3D printed parts. Mostly they are covers. The tube that goes from the front to back of the saddle is how I routed the cables to some electronics on the front of the saddle.

I built some covers for the cross slide ways and to cover the 1204 ball screw that replaced the manual lead screw.

I used ClearPath servo's on both Z and X axis. Both are direct drive. Z has a 1605 screw hidden under this cover. The Red object with the stainless socket screw is a carrier for the magnet that triggers the Z limit switch. It can slide back and forth so there is less chance of running the tool into the chuck.

There is the X Axis servo hiding on the back of the saddle under the cover. I used a cable drag track to get the wiring onto the saddle.

Designing and building the spindle encoder was the most difficult part of the conversion. The spindle has a 65 tooth gear that used to drive all the other gears on the head. I bought another gear and use it to drive a rotary encoder. Since I didn't want to make any new holes in the casting unless I had to, this is where it wound up. Unfortunately It sticks up above the top of the spindle housing so the cover door no longer fits. Oh well, who needs the safety covers anyhow.

Another shot of the encoder and a a completely clean spot where there used to be a bunch of greasy gears.

A quick and dirty AXA tool rack.

I will put the electronics in another post.