586,089 active members*
3,885 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Centroid M400

I have a Centroid M400 control (1997 model) Is there an upgrade or anything available to allow the use of file names beyond 8 characters with out them being shortened into something unrecognizable?

Also it have a floppy drive the newer models have a USB can that be upgraded as well or am I asking for things that require a new controller?

Gary

Gary,

Your M400 control is running DOS. DOS is what limits the file names to 8 characters. DOS also does not support USB. This contributed to Centroid's switch to a Linux OS, which is in use today. Please contact your Centroid dealer for information about upgrading to the new OS and control software.

AjaxCNC
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

As Ajaxcnc notes, you need to upgrade to current Linux-based software in order to have longer filenames and use of USB flash drives. You would also get lots of other things that have been added and improved in the last 3-10 years.

The original '486 motherboard in your 1997 M400 is not sufficient for running the Linux software. Therefore you are looking at a motherboard/processor upgrade along with the software update. Typically this is done by changing out the motherboard, and at the same time installing a compact flash reader (solid state hard drive) and a flash card containing the new operating system and control software.

The motherboard replacement is a finicky job best done by someone who has done a few of them before.

Figure on spending in the ballpark of $1500 - $2000 total for the hardware and your technician's time and travel to come out and install it. Not pocket change, but actually pretty reasonable to bring a CNC controller forward 10 years. Figure on spending more if you are in Point Barrow; less if you are in Whatcom County.

My Centroid with Linux only handles 8 character filenames....

Something tells me I am not the only one disapointed by that.

Shizzlemah wrote:
    My Centroid with Linux only handles 8 character filenames....
    Something tells me I am not the only one disapointed by that.
    You need to obtain updated software from your dealer or local service tech. The earlier Linux Intercon releases, being ports of the DOS version, did still have the 8-character limit.

I just tried a 22-character Intercon file name using version 2.32, and it worked just fine.

Note that names longer than 14 characters or so are sometimes truncated for display purposes, but the whole name is still used internally.

Also note that spaces and certain punctuation are still not allowed. If you are hoping to call your part Drill & Tap Mike's 5" Widget, you are still out of luck. Try to keep it reasonable. Be grateful you aren't stuck with 4-digit numbers only.... If you can't live without spaces and punctuation, remember you can still type anything you want (up to 25 characters) in the Description field.

MarcL, are you a Centroid dealer? If not, do you know a dealer that offers this kind of option to upgrade an old centroid for around the price you mentioned?
    I also have a 1997 M60 centroid and would like to upgrade to linux.
    Thanks in advance for any help!

S76tools

Yes, I am a Centroid dealer. This sort of upgrade is best done on site. Where are you located?

It will be a little more expensive to upgrade an M60, because AT-format motherboards for the mini-tower PC case in your cabinet are no longer available. I would replace the PC with a new micro-ATX computer. That, however, will require swapping your full-length ISA CPU7 controller board for the new short PCI CPU10 board.

Centroid Upgrade!

MarcL,

Sorry I was not able to reply right away - because of work travel.
    I live in PA and I know there are a few centroid dealers in this state. I was thinking of buying an upgrade kit and do the upgrade myself or maybe do the upgrade myself and get a centroid dealer to inspect the installation and turn the power on and do the setup but I don't know if that is possible. I was thinking of buying the centroid engraving option for the money I saved on the installation.

S76tools