586,455 active members*
3,151 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 62 of 71 12526061626364
Results 1,221 to 1,240 of 1418
    Hi dan j, I don't have Joe's CNC machine (mine is different), but I will tell you about my experience. I think that your old PC has enough power for 3D CNC-milling, but a minor upgrade from 512 to 1024 MB would be a plus. I use an old laptop (IBM ThinkPad T30) with only 512 MB RAM and Intel Mobile Pentium 4 2.0 GHz CPU, and the machine is running as smoothly as it should. Note: if you intend to use a laptop for running your CNC-machine, don't forget to TURN OFF all Power saving settings that may set the processor to 30-50% of the normal speed, thus disrupt the signals to your Parallel port. My stepper motors and electronics are the most basic "plug-and-run" setup - 4 numbers NEMA34 and Gecko 540, and the connection is done via standard Parallel port (LPT DB-25). As far as I know, you would need an additional device to use a USB connection.
    However, I use my desktop PC for the CAD work at home because it's a lot more powerful than the laptop. I transfer the design work between both computers via 4GB USB Flash memory.

Good tip on the power saving mode, I bet forgetting that gets old quick I'm surprised at how little RAM the machine has but that'll be a really cheap upgrade. Good info on transfering between computers.

Thanks for the info,
    dan

Quote Originally Posted by dan j View Post
    3 different opinions from the forum? Heck, I have more voices than that in my head

I'd still feel better if things were different, but I'll probably go with Joe's. I'm hoping that the backlog isn't as bad as you said Bill, I'd like to order whatever I need on Monday.

I do have a drill press and SCMI. I'll probably find a used chop saw if there's a lot of cutting. A chop saw would be enough, right? Or, are there complicated cuts? Strangely enough my bandsaw (wood resawing) blade can cut metal, but I prefer not to use it for that.

How much computer power are we talking about for 3D and eventually 4th axis routing? I've read some of the software requirements, but they're usually the bare minimum and more is usually better. I have an older (2003 Pentium4 2GHz, 512RAM ) Dell desktop I could dedicate but it's slower than my laptop. I could design on the laptop and transfer the design to the desktop, right? What's the connection used with Joe's? I read that one CNC used a parallel l port for communications because USB is too slow. Same thing with Joe's Hybrid?

Thanks for the answers to my questions,
    dan
    Your old Dell will work. Parallel port is used by Mach3.
    Chop saw is to cut metal. All cuts are straight and could be done with Band saw and metal blade. Or since you have woodworking tools you could build a wooden base cheap and strong. Ask Joe how long kits take. He will answer your questions.

Bill

Dan, It sounds like you need to do some studying before you start spending money. I wrote a thread (LONGGGGGG) on rcgroups which covers many beginner questions about CNC and what is involved from software to hardware. You can probably finish the thread by Monday. Skip to page 7 if you don't plan to use a Hobbycnc controller ( and want to know how to assemble the board).

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=702944

Bill

I built a Joes 4X4 Hybrid CNC router. I never even seen a cnc before and had no idea how to build one much less operate one. I had no problems and everyone on the site was helpfull with any questions I had from start to finish and even after in setting up the machine to run. Plans are great and need nothing more than them to build your machine. Most everyone is using mach3 some EMC2 but 99% is using mach3. Many have built the 4X8 and more are upgrading to R&P. There are BOM's in the files section that spells out part numbers, Qty, where to buy them and prices.

Great site that shares stuff daily from 3d models to vector drawings to special mach3 programming. I assure you that 100.00 would be well spent. Not just for the building of the machine but would be worth it for the help after it was built.

Good luck with your choice,

Bob

I use a 1.1Ghz PIII Dell with 512MB of ram, and have done a few 3D carvings with no problems. I do need to turn off the toolpath display on very large files, but it runs the machine perfectly fine.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Quote Originally Posted by bevins View Post
    I built a Joes 4X4 Hybrid CNC router. I never even seen a cnc before and had no idea how to build one much less operate one. I had no problems and everyone on the site was helpfull with any questions I had from start to finish and even after in setting up the machine to run. Plans are great and need nothing more than them to build your machine. Most everyone is using mach3 some EMC2 but 99% is using mach3. Many have built the 4X8 and more are upgrading to R&P. There are BOM's in the files section that spells out part numbers, Qty, where to buy them and prices.

Great site that shares stuff daily from 3d models to vector drawings to special mach3 programming. I assure you that 100.00 would be well spent. Not just for the building of the machine but would be worth it for the help after it was built.

Good luck with your choice,

Bob
    That is what I want to hear! I'm really looking forward to adding CNC designs into projects to begin with and expanding from there.

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    I use a 1.1Ghz PIII Dell with 512MB of ram, and have done a few 3D carvings with no problems. I do need to turn off the toolpath display on very large files, but it runs the machine perfectly fine.
    Thanks Gerry, I think I'm going to upgrade it just in case. Funny how much more powerful computers are in just a few years.

Thanks,
    Dan

Here is my second machine "Joe's CNC 4x4 Hybrid Rack and Pinion".

I just need to bolt on the Z-Axis Slide.

It is using Ahrens rack and pinion kit cncrouterparts.com

Then controller and run the Breakin Wizard that Chris wrote to let the V-Bearings condition the Angle Iron rails.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCF1046.JPG  
    Thanks,
    Joe

www.joescnc.com
    joecnc2006 at yahoo

Z-Axis Slide.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCF1051.JPG  
    Thanks,
    Joe

www.joescnc.com
    joecnc2006 at yahoo

That's one cool Z axis slide. If the other MDF parts are also made with the clear acrylic and embedded LED's that will be one wild machine.

Jason

Is that acrylic or polycarbonate? either way, I bet it's heavy. Is it 1" think, or thicker?
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    Is that acrylic or polycarbonate? either way, I bet it's heavy. Is it 1" think, or thicker?
    its 0.735"
    Thanks,
    Joe

www.joescnc.com
    joecnc2006 at yahoo

Got the Z-Axis Slide Installed. Now just need to hook up electronics and make it move.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Z-Slide Installed.JPG  
    Thanks,
    Joe

www.joescnc.com
    joecnc2006 at yahoo

Here's my Joes 4X4 Hybrid. Stock build, no mods other than bigger angle iron and metal base I welded.

It doesn't have the eye candy Joe's has but it works really well.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FadI53SivOg"]YouTube- Bob Bevins CNC Router #2 jogging at 700IPM[/ame]

That's a beauty Bob. Eye candy is nice, but performance is all that matters and all of Joe's Hybrid models seem to perform really well.

Dan

Bob, you definately did a good job on the router nice stout machine, I also like your video of the deer scene, nice cut quality.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAis-LGpkb0"]YouTube- Bob Bevins CNC cutting deer scene[/ame]
    Thanks,
    Joe

www.joescnc.com
    joecnc2006 at yahoo

This screen set I have rewritten as I have found some problems testing it. Not retracting was one issue......
    Originally it was written by guy on video.
    I have fixed touch plate below face of my spoil board but have done testing and also runs fine if it is above it.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QoF99XwUQfc"]YouTube- A quick demo of a modified Mach Blue Tool Setter[/ame]

Note: this set is for inches as Native Units but can be very easy changed to mm
    I have included in button scripts many descriptors to make it easier.
    After unzipping drop .set file in c:/Mach3/

Happy testing, please let me know what do you think.......
    Attached Files Attached Files

Here are Mach3 Blue screens that I have moded.
    They do not have red Mach 3 Logo in upper right corner but Hybrid CNC instead.

After unzipping those need to be dropped in c:/Mach3/Bitmaps/MachTestScreens/

As per standard Mach3 install..........
    Attached Files Attached Files

Here's another example of the performance you can get from the hybrid. Mine is a 4x8 all rack and pinion using a dual beam on the x axis for torsional rigidity. The video is cutting at 480 ipm using a .25 up cut end mill, .25 pass depth, 180 ipm plunge in .5 birch veneer plywood. The router is a pc 892. Steppers are Hobbycnc 305 oz/in with the Hobbycnc pro driver.

The camera is mounted to one of the t-tracks.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGafh83S9N0"]YouTube- S4021027.AVI[/ame]

Page 62 of 71 12526061626364