586,475 active members*
3,259 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 55 of 71 545535455565765
Results 1,081 to 1,100 of 1418
    If you just span the table with just the 80/20 extrusion then there is some sag. However, once the angle iron is installed on the top and bottom for the linear rails, the rack is bolted to the back and reinforcement on the front side, there is no longer any sag. Think of it as reinforced 80/20.

Here's another Bill has almost finished his machine, he is just wrapping up the bed. His machine is a nice a clean build.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 05252009 010.jpg  

She moves! Did the ritual cutting of air today. Everything went very well (took almost 2 days to align the dual y-axis screws, but it was time well spent). Solid as a rock. Film at 11 (or whenever I get my buddy with the camera over here).
    If you cut it to small you can always nail another piece on the end, but if you cut it to big... then what the hell you gonna do?

Steven

Heres another 4x8 machine being built by Chris.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSJ_Q81Pj50&feature=channel_page"]YouTube - S4020866[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTuo3wTHMWs&feature=channel_page"]YouTube - S4020872[/ame]

Wow fast machine, whats he using for drivers,motors and screws? Hey Jo so how many Hybred's have been built now? Graham

Quote Originally Posted by grahamshere View Post
    Wow fast machine, whats he using for drivers,motors and screws? Hey Jo so how many Hybred's have been built now? Graham
    He is using the HobbyCNC pro kit i believe, the X-Axis is rack and pinion.

We have 37 complete running machines and 78 machines under construction.

Rotary Axis for Joe's 4X4 Hybrid

Burney and I finally finished the rotary axis for Joe's 4X4 Hybrid. I've included lots of pictures that I hope make it clear how it was built. The rotary axis is hung between the first and second unistrut so that it is parallel with the X axis. The second unistrut is pushed back up against the third unistrut so that there is about 15" between the first two unistruts. The table has been cut off at the third unistrut. The fact that the second unistrut is pushed back against the third unistrut makes it easy to put the cut piece of the table back on when the rotary axis is not being used.

The rotary axis consists of the headstock and the tailstock. The headstock shaft was made from 1" diameter drill rod. It was threaded 1-8 at one end and turned down to 3/4" at the other. The 3/4" end holds a 30 tooth pulley. The motor is mounted on a 12" X 6" aluminum plate milled with the appropriate features to mount the motor. Slots are also milled into the plate so that it can be mounted in a way that allows the belt to be tensioned. The motor pulley is a ten tooth pulley giving us a 1:3 ratio. The stepper motor is 1200 oz/inches giving us a lot of torque for larger work pieces.

The tailstock was purchased from Grizzly for $50. Both the headstock and tailstock are mounted on 3/4" plywood. The plywood is bolted to 2" X 2" X 1/4" aluminum angle. The angle is bolted (using slots for adjustment) to another piece of angle that rides on the unistrut and is held to the unistrut with 5/16" bolts, unistrut nuts and handles with threaded inserts.

This all sounds complicated, but it is a really clean and easy to fabricate design. The rotary axis can be pulled off the machine in seconds and the table top returned to its original size in a couple of minutes. Please look through the pictures to understand how it was all done. BTW, as designed the rotary axis will handle a work piece up to to 41" long and 12" in diameter. I will be happy to answer any questions you may have.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Another view of motor mounting plate.jpg   Aproximate 6 inch clearance between center of rotary axis and router bit.jpg   Close view of tailstock.jpg   Closer look at headstock shaft.jpg  

Closer view of headstock.jpg   Closer view of rotary axis.jpg  

More pictures
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Closer view of tailstock.jpg   Far view of rotary axis.jpg   Headstock motor mounting plate.jpg   Length between the front uni-struts.jpg  

Length of headstock angles.jpg   Length of motor mounting plate.jpg  

More pictures.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Length of tailstock angles.jpg   Length of tailstock.jpg   Middle view of rotary axis.jpg   Middle view of tailstock.jpg  

Rotary axis from back of machine.jpg   Under the headstock.jpg  

The last of the pictures.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Very close look at headstock.jpg   Width of motor mounting plate.jpg  

rgoldner

let see some chips flying off that new axis and some impressive turnings..

Bob

Dumb question - why the HDPE?

OK, I've read the thread... haven't bought the plans yet, but may very well. I have one nagging question that I'm just not seeing from the various pictures.

Why the HDPE? Seems like that could have been MDF or metal or something... just like it, or???

Not knocking the decision at all (its a neat material), but just trying to figure out what I'm missing in the functionality.

Thanks!

Bruce

HDPE is easy to work with for those who do not have the means to machine alumn. of other metals. It works better than HDPE for this application, and also holds up to to the motors heat, I have it on mine for over a year and 1/2 and it still holding up as day one.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by joecnc2006 View Post
    HDPE is easy to work with for those who do not have the means to machine alumn. of other metals. It works better than HDPE for this application, and also holds up to to the motors heat, I have it on mine for over a year and 1/2 and it still holding up as day one.
    Thanks Joe, appreciate it!

James is wrapping up his build with a cool lookiing paint job, as well as a nice orginised wood base which houses the controller, electronics and computer.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails mounted-the-base-table.jpg  

Love this thread!

is the rotary axis in joes 4x4 hybrid plans or was that a mod of your own that was added ? i want to build joes 2006 and use it to build this one in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by newsense2004 View Post
    is the rotary axis in joes 4x4 hybrid plans or was that a mod of your own that was added ? i want to build joes 2006 and use it to build this one in the future.
    The 4th Axis is an additional mod's people are doing on the machine, plus others, i.e. Dovetail cutting etc.

Bill's machine is looking nice.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dsc00020.jpg  

cant wait to build my 2006 so i can use it to build this one, thanks for the info joe

Page 55 of 71 545535455565765