586,655 active members*
3,580 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 18 of 71 816171819202868
    yes, i still have the proto machine, It is still working great.

Joe

Hi Joe I am thinking of making the table out of steel instead of the aluminum because of cost and availability what do you think of this idea I would still go with the same gantry as yours.

Rob

Cost isn't that bad with alum, the extrusions are the foreground of the machine and the basis for the structural design. The ebay suprlus store lets out the aluminum at ridiculous prices, affordable to say the least. I think that's what you mean because thats really the only main aluminum on the machine, the rest is unistrut (superstrut at HD) framing, all galvanized steel. But it's a flexible design, if you can get within the same sizes you can play with it a bit. However, the main main reason the use of extrusions was so important is because they allow you the ability to literally BOLT together the entire build, no welding, no lost time making jigs to perfectly drill holes once.. all of the alignment comes from these tslots and it helps to have precision adjustable slots to put this thing together. That's why as joe says, you can adjust almost every part of this machine, it's going to be quite hard to mess this build up if impossible. (but don't hold me to that!)

considering I live in Canada the shipping of aluminum would make buying it from ebay costly but I see your point it would make allot more work for me. when I priced the aluminum out new it will run me around $500.00 with some t nuts thrown in there, the plus is they will cut the lengths for me and they guarantee precision of there cuts. By the way this is a good Canadian source for the aluminum if you want to buy it new its $382.26 for a 20 foot length http://www.quikconnectcanada.ca/ great guys bought tnuts off of them before.

Rob

I paid $150 roughly for all 3 extrusions. To me for aluminum extrusions thats pretty damn cheap! Even if you pay $100 for shipping it will pay off later; believe me. Having those slots allows you to make the entire machine adjustable, not to mention extruded aluminum is stable, strong, flat and true. The ends were cut perfectly square and clean, no problems with that and they were left exact size as purchased. As I said ebay's 8020 surplus store has great deals all the time, you can always snag pricey metal for ALOT less than retail prices. Email them, I'm sure they ship a lot with UPS and get large discounts and may be able to work out a decent shipping arrangement.

Flange Bearing alternative

Joe,

I was looking around for a less expensive bearing alternative for the Hybrid. I used some of these bearings on a different project and thought they might work here. Cost about $8 each.

http://igus.kimweb.de/index.asp?la=e...&artnr=EFSM-12

Bill

yes, i got them on e-bay for 7 and a half i think, don't worry i always looked for best beals, and the links will be provided in the docs.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by joecnc2006 View Post
    and the links will be provided in the docs.

Joe
    Just tired of twiddling my thumbs. I was ready to start before Thanksgiving and keep putting it of pending you plans. Ordering parts makes me feel like I am accomplishing something. Besides that, I already have my previous machine sold, so he is waiting too.

Bill

Bgriggs, it will be done and released soon. When it is done its done and joe rushing it will only sacrifice the quality of the materials, plans etc that will be for sale when it is released. Joe wants to do it right, and I don't blame him. Hang in there!

Quote Originally Posted by bp092 View Post
    Bgriggs, it will be done and released soon. When it is done its done and joe rushing it will only sacrifice the quality of the materials, plans etc that will be for sale when it is released. Joe wants to do it right, and I don't blame him. Hang in there!
    I have no real choice but to hang in there..... I am capable of designing my own machine but don't think that is the right path since this design is well suited to my needs. I have gathered the 8020, leadscrew, unistrut and a few other items. I would like to order the parts that will take a week or more to get here.... I have the money now but their are a million other things I could buy.... So my cash pile has dwindled by 1/3 since Thanksgiving......

If I am being unfair to Joe and the list by hoping he finishes soon, I apoligize. I won't post here again till the plans are done.

Keep up the good work Joe. I'll check back in a few months.

Bill

Bill, hang in man, you're prepared it's a good thing. It won't be a few months, if a another month, but this machine is a fast fairly cheap build and you will enjoy it. Besides as easy as it is, it is also very involved, many parts. You aren't held up to each step if you're missing a love joy or motor, or certain bolt, you can always work on something to progress the machine until a certain point. While you wait for parts you will be busy with other stuff, trust me. Just keep on listening, the only thing I might suggest is start thinking about a controller, pref. gecko based and you will need a 4 axis BOB (two slaved in mach 3) and something with atleast 36v, enough power to push this machine to its ability.

Quote Originally Posted by bp092 View Post
    pref. gecko based and you will need a 4 axis BOB (two slaved in mach 3)
    How do you slave the two axis in Mach 3? I was just going to run the same step and direction line for the axis to both geckos. I take it slaving in Mach is better?

James

EDIT: I figured out how to do it in Mach & it is very simple.

Does anyone have any resources on the topic of slaving. I understand that it involves using 2 motors for one axis, I think? Can anyone provide some information or a website?

Also what are the advantages of slaving and what additional software/hardware is required?

In Mach3, just set up both motors exactly the same and go to config>Slaving
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

There are three ways i know of and have done myself personally.

1) 4 drives, and a axis slaved with X axis in software. i.e. Mach3
    2) 4 drives, and two drives share the same pinouts from bob card.
    3) 3 drives and two motors wired directly to one drive.

The last one I did tonight with a Gecko G201 not sure if it works with other drives, but I was very surprised as to how well the drives ran with each other.

Joe

80/20 garage has the extrusion for 48 dollars now, (38 pieces left) Mike told me he was putting more on there.

http://cgi.ebay.com/8020-T-Slot-Alum...QQcmdZViewItem

don't forget 5 packs of 1/4-20 econo nuts.

http://cgi.ebay.com/8020-T-Slot-Hard...QQcmdZViewItem

Joe

Nice to see some metric parts being used in your new machine Joe

I can source 80/20 locally but haven't got pricing as yet. I'll wait for your full BOM and then request a quote from 80/20 Australia.

Cheers

Claudio
    - WidgitMaster Wide Router with Kress FME 800, HobbyCNC 305oz Stepper Kit
    - WidgitMaster Midi Router with Dremel

those are the only parts I got from 80/20.

Joe

Thanks for the heads up, Joe.

Ernie

BOB, 8020 extrusions (8020 garage) and T nuts showed up today. Controller box is just about finished. Waiting on a cap and need to install the BOB and geckos, then I need to do some V-carve and hole drilling in the plexi face plate for the fuses, leds, cables and labels. I'll get a picture when I get it finished up. I just hope the plexi turns out, if not I'll get another piece and try again.

Got a pretty good deal on the aluminum and steel for the box. We have a scrap bin at work that was pretty full and I found a 3/16" aluminum plate for the bottom and some small guage steel for the sides and top all for free. The aluminum plate will make a great heat sink.

Page 18 of 71 816171819202868